Linear actuator switch wiring

Dezign

Joined Oct 4, 2020
I'm looking for some help wrapping my head around how to wire the following. Two linear actuators operated independently on their own momentary switches and both actuators simultaneously on a single [master] momentary switch. I was hoping to keep it simple, without relays, just using DPDT switches but can't figure out how to wire in the master.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
there is only one way with DPDT-s use one as a "braker" , then hold down both "single" buttons and release the braker for desired time

the simulation has non momentarily buttons to be able to set them to desired position http://tinyurl.com/y57gxz8z

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Often many of these linear actuators have internal FWD/REV L.S.'s, these include reverse biased diodes across the L.S. in order to allow simple reverse polarity/direction.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A simple way will be to have just a single up/off/ down switch and then two switched to disable one or the other actuators. So you could set the angle by disabling one at a time and moving the other, and then enable both to raise and lower at the same time. Then you only need one DPDT-center off switches and two SPST switches. No diodes required. And it will cost less.
To do it with only two switches the selector needs to be a special switch that shifts only one pole each side of center on.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A simple way will be to have just a single up/off/ down switch and then two switched to disable one or the other actuators. So you could set the angle by disabling one at a time and moving the other, and then enable both to raise and lower at the same time. Then you only need one DPDT-center off switches and two SPST switches. No diodes required. And it will cost less.
To do it with only two switches the selector needs to be a special switch that shifts only one pole each side of center on.

I think the OP requires a diagram?
I'm looking for some help wrapping my head around how to wire the following.
Max.

Dezign

Joined Oct 4, 2020
Thank you for the input. That 4pdt would increase the size of the control box considerably, I think. How about an on-off switch for the master? A 6 pole that would connect 3 poles x 2. I'm not sure what you would call that switch or if it is available.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Never saw a switch like that in a size that would run a motor.
What is wrong with the concept of a single switch, DPDT center off, for up and down, and then two single pole switches to decide which actuator to drive? and after the angle is set, then both are enabled so both drive up and down to raise and lower keeping the same angle? I can't get any simpler than that with standard normal parts.

Dezign

Joined Oct 4, 2020
Never saw a switch like that in a size that would run a motor.
What is wrong with the concept of a single switch, DPDT center off, for up and down, and then two single pole switches to decide which actuator to drive? and after the angle is set, then both are enabled so both drive up and down to raise and lower keeping the same angle? I can't get any simpler than that with standard normal parts.
I was considering ease of operation, being able to adjust angle on the fly with just one touch. However, I do like the simplicity in the wiring. NC momentary push switches would make it easier.

Dezign

Joined Oct 4, 2020
It's important to know the current draw of the actuators. That will determine the physical size of the switches required.
Certainly true, the ones I'm using only draw 1A no load and 5A at max load. So a 10A switch would be ample, but adding a fourth switch to the control box would add complexity and size.