Like it or not, Linux has taken over

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Just 'cause you guys can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.
I am not sure what you want to accomplish with statement like this. You don't know me and you most certainly don't know what I do or can do. I would be more impressed when arguments are supported, there is no putting words in someones mouth or getting personal.

Dude...nuts to bolts product development (in addition to running a business): hardware, software, firmware, injection molds, die casts, sheet metal, artwork, LCDs, PCBs. You name it. I do it.
Sounds interesting, can you show some examples (pictures)?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
@joeyd999 I used CP/M before my first DOS machine. Wordstar was the word processor. When I went to PCWrite in DOS, I had already used the CTRL-? keys enough that they translated right into the PCWrite software ... reducing the learning curve.

So yeah, the origins were in CP/M.

Here was my first personal computer ....

It's changed alot since then.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Apparently I am not nerdy enough to get that picture reference. :oops:

I see the microsoft logo and the Linux penguin but I have no clue who those people are.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My team shot pool in Vegas earlier this month against a team from who worked at Microsoft. None of the Microsoft players are in the picture.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My team shot pool in Vegas earlier this month against a team from who worked at Microsoft. None of the Microsoft players are in the picture.
What are the odds of that happening? With only 114,000 Microsoft employees, I would have expected to see someone you played pool with show up in that photo too.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Why should this be so hard on Windows? It's like you guys go out of your way to torture yourselves.
Not hard at all; here you go...

wbAdmin start backup -backuptarget:<drive or UNC> -include::<drive or UNC> -allcritical -quiet

Nice and easy. Using a UNC path I can take a image of a remote PC.
Honest question, how does dd handle that?

Never said it was -- on the desktop. But Android is a far better OS on mobile devices than Windows mobile.

And I could name 100 different Linux distributions that are far better than any version of Windows on the desktop.
Better for who? This is like saying a A380 is better then a 787.

Except run the entire freaking internet, most supercomputers, and a majority of mobile devices.
Entire internet? https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2016/02/22/february-2016-web-server-survey.html
Granted this is a small sample but still hardly "entire".
Note: Apache runs on Windows but IIS does not on Linux)

Supercomputers? There is no Microsoft product that runs on a supercomputer (depending on what you are talking about), therefore can't be compared. It is like saying electric motors are crap because no rockets use them.

Phones. This has nothing to do with the OS. Most users would not even know what OS runs on there phone. Android is not popular because it is better, it is popular because most people can't think for themselves and use whatever the flavour of the month is (blackberry anyone?).

Dude...nuts to bolts product development (in addition to running a business): hardware, software, firmware, injection molds, die casts, sheet metal, artwork, LCDs, PCBs. You name it. I do it.
Good work, but how many times do you need to administer, audit, update, backup or do anything to more then your handful of computers?
How many times have you had KPMG coming around to your workplace asking for proof of compliance?

Honest question, what management software is there available for Linux, or MAC for that matter?

Not tiring to argue with your decision to use Linux, not even saying it is better\worse then Windows. Just saying that in enterprise environments (1000+ users) there is nothing that even comes close to Windows form the point of view of a admin.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You guy's are forgetting joeyd's ideas are the best. The whole world waits with baited breath for his next post on any topic.:)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Nice and easy. Using a UNC path I can take a image of a remote PC.
Honest question, how does dd handle that?
Unix type systems were network aware long before any Microsoft products. Hell, the internet was invented on Unix.

Never imaged a drive remotely on Linux before using dd. But here is one way it could be done (securely and compressed):

Code:
ssh user@remote "dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -1 -" | dd of=image.gz