Like it or not, Linux has taken over

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You can do quite a bit with Linux without using the command line.
Like watching a French movie on Netflix
while remote compiling a program in NetBeans on a RPi
while writing a PIC18 driver for the RPi using MPLABX
while using the web to make this post on a Linux 32bit PC.

Only one monitor? Two 24" screens are barely enough for me.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I had to learn how to fix my windows because I was to poor to pay some one to fix for me .. So over the years I have grown very fond of Windows and when a problem hits I can always find the answer online .. If it gets to bad the drive gets Darik's boot and nuke treatment and fresh install and the system is back up a couple hours later..I always wanted to try Mac or other operating systems but would have a hard time learning the new system.. Plus I have alot people telling me if I still game to stay with windows..

Far more nefarious deeds are 'managed' on Windows than Linux.
Always has been but crap is starting to come out more and more..

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If it gets to bad the drive gets Darik's boot and nuke treatment and fresh install and the system is back up a couple hours later
That's my approach. I keep fully loaded copies of all my hard drives so if one gets too buggy I just wipe it and do a full ready to run reinstall.

Takes me aobut 30 minutes to an hour at best.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Only one monitor? Two 24" screens are barely enough for me.
That's in the garage. The other work shed has duals but I don't see much advantage with my style of programming in using large monitors and dual screens directly in front (I use a really lightweight WM called icewm). I've got other screens on the garage servers to run xterms if I need additional output displays from this computer.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If it gets to bad the drive gets Darik's boot and nuke treatment...
It's never ceased to amaze me that what should be standard utilities in any disk operating system usually require 3rd party tools in Windows.

In Linux, if I want to image my hard drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=somefile.img
If I want to copy an image back to the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=somefile.img of=/dev/sda
If I want to "randomized" the contents of the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda
Why should this be so hard on Windows? It's like you guys go out of your way to torture yourselves.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
It's never ceased to amaze me that what should be standard utilities in any disk operating system usually require 3rd party tools in Windows.

In Linux, if I want to image my hard drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=somefile.img
If I want to copy an image back to the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=somefile.img of=/dev/sda
If I want to "randomized" the contents of the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda
Why should this be so hard on Windows?
But see you understand that and know what you doing .. I look at it and see what the crap is that and what does it even mean .. Where Windows I can just point and click and be done

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
But see you understand that and know what you doing .. I look at it and see what the crap is that and what does it even mean .. Where Windows I can just point and click and be done
But only after you download a 3rd party app, which may -- or may not -- be trusted.

And, in Linux, we have the manual.

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
But only after you download a 3rd party app, which may -- or may not -- be trusted.

And, in Linux, we have the manual.
That is all very interesting, but the article you linked to cites Android as the poster boy for linux which is a far cry from any desktop linux worth using. Or Windows for that matter. I for sure don't know how to install dd on Android from a source that I can trust. In addition I think Adroid is extremely user hostile, but perhaps that's a matter of personal taste.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
That is all very interesting, but the article you linked to cites Android as the poster boy for linux which is a far cry from any desktop linux worth using. Or Windows for that matter. I for sure don't know how to install dd on Android from a source that I can trust. In addition I think Adroid is extremely user hostile, but perhaps that's a matter of personal taste.
Yet, if I am not mistaken, there are now more mobile users than desktops/laptops.

Android hostile? I used iOS for the first time a few weeks ago. A walk in the walled garden was far too constrained for me.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
So linux has a manual because you can't do anything without consulting, or memorising, that manual.
Lazy? You mean not choosing an OS that makes things obscure? Oh, yes!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
So linux has a manual because you can't do anything without consulting, or memorising, that manual.
Lazy? You mean not choosing an OS that makes things obscure? Oh, yes!
You are happy limiting yourself to whatever the mouse says you can do. Fine. Personally, I like discovery. And I love reading.