Like it or not, Linux has taken over

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
what the MSDOS P.C.'s had at that time.
My dad has some antique monitors he uses for text displays. It's funny cuz they're called _Hercules_ which sounds like the name of a game console or like that but I'm told they were expensive office and academic assets in their dayo_O:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
when your control center acts up your computer has a 'yeast infection'? o_O
In that case the anti-malware package can be called _Monistat_:D?

but, dang, sometimes the name really does just ruin somethings ability to be taken serious. :rolleyes:
Tcmtech I know what you mean abt how stupid names and childish informality can diminish
the dignity of a field of study or ebdeavor! Like with _flavors_ of quarks:rolleyes: _cute_ and _quirky_ are fine in the humanities but I expect better of scientific minds:rolleyes:! All the same for technology!

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Windows : I can do just about EVERYTHING with a mouse pointer...
And almost nothing without it. Have you ever tried to manage multiple Windows machines remotely? Nearly impossible.

Nice thing about Linux: the entire box can be managed via a single serial or ethernet connection. If my monitor goes on the fritz, or my video adapter quits, or the video/mouse/keyboard/whatever drivers break, I still have full access.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
My dad has some antique monitors he uses for text displays. It's funny cuz they're called _Hercules_ which sounds like the name of a game console or like that but I'm told they were expensive office and academic assets in their dayo_O:)
It was actually a Hercules Graphics Card, typically with a monochrome monitor with yellow or green phosphor.

And yes, I've been around this kind of cards/monitors from sometime in the late 1980s.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
And almost nothing without it. Have you ever tried to manage multiple Windows machines remotely? Nearly impossible.

Nice thing about Linux: the entire box can be managed via a single serial or ethernet connection. If my monitor goes on the fritz, or my video adapter quits, or the video/mouse/keyboard/whatever drivers break, I still have full access.
A few things on this:

1. Chances of a monitor going bust - Slim. If it does happen in a business environment there are spare monitors
  2. Home users don't use networks like businesses do
  3. Home users are not technical and they will only ever use a mouse
The most technical computer system I have going on is a windows 7 laptop that is acting as a file server which also shares its internet connection with my PC in my room. I have multiple windows machines (in the workshop) connecting to the laptop via LAN and just mount the server drive as a local folder.

Not saying that Linux is not powerful, it has so much potential don't get me wrong. But the software market really needs to pick up and Linux needs to further improve its user interface for those who do not wish to use commands.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have made a screenshot of the YaST page:

YaST Control Centre.png

How does this look compared with the windows control centre.
I am using the dutch version, but OpenSuse is available in over 60 languages.

Bertus

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
The web page insists that I disable my ad blocker even after disabling my ad blocker. Are they harping on Android? If so, Android is a sorry excuse for linux, perhaps even in the narrow view of linux being just the kernel as opposed to a full 'linux system'.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The web page insists that I disable my ad blocker even after disabling my ad blocker.
What page?

Are they harping on Android? If so, Android is a sorry excuse for linux, perhaps even in the narrow view of linux being just the kernel as opposed to a full 'linux system'.
Linux is the kernel. Android uses nearly a stock Linux kernel with some additional code to handle the various power states that are required by Android, in addition to Android's JVM and Java libraries.

The "full 'Linux system'" to which you refer is, generally, the Linux kernel in addition to the GNU system library, a window manager, a desktop manager, and whatever tools and apps the distribution chooses to supply.

Regardless, Android is a "full Linux system" no matter how you look at it. And, IMHO, it is quite a nice Linux system. 85% of mobile users agree with me.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Linux is the kernel. Android uses nearly a stock Linux kernel with some additional code to handle the various power states that are required by Android, in addition to Android's JVM and Java libraries.
Mind elaborating? Would you believe me if I told you that I think I don't fully understand what a kernel is?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Many of you surprise me when you say things like "it's too hard". Funny, I feel exactly the same when I try to use any Windows beyond XP. But then again, I have absolutely no interest anymore in knowing anything about Windows, so I understand the feeling.
Pretty much the same as my perspective as a long-time Mac user. I get called upon to help friends with Windows boxes, and usually all I can do is to tell them how I'd approach the problem on my Mac. "Read the system log", that sort of thing. I simply refuse to waste my time learning more about Windows. I decided long ago that I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. Even IBM has come around on this issue. More: http://www.computerworld.com/articl...e-buy-is-making-and-saving-ibm-money-ibm.html

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Tcmtech I know what you mean abt how stupid names and childish informality can diminish
the dignity of a field of study or ebdeavor! Like with _flavors_ of quarks:rolleyes: _cute_ and _quirky_ are fine in the humanities but I expect better of scientific minds:rolleyes:! All the same for technology!

Exactly my feeling too. Largely why I have little interest in bluetooth devices and most every micro controller made so far.
They may be great devices but for 'F' sakes they could have came up with far more fitting professional sounding names given the idiots who name pokemon characters have better naming abilities for fictitious creature they come up with while, I assume, high. :confused:

To me Bluetooth should have been named Omnilink or something like that being it sort of links everything to everything else of which then ,Heck yea, I'd have everything that could be linked 'Omni Linked' by now but it's bluetooth so ..... :(

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A few things on this:
Home users are not technical and they will only ever use a mouse
You can do quite a bit with Linux without using the command line.
Like watching a French movie on Netflix
while remote compiling a program in NetBeans on a RPi
while writing a PIC18 driver for the RPi using MPLABX
while using the web to make this post on a Linux 32bit PC.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Nice thing about Linux: the entire box can be managed via a single serial or ethernet connection.
Managed. Interesting. One can manage for nefarious deeds as well as good deeds.

Home users are not technical and they will only ever use a mouse
I find that I can still use the old "Wordstar" commands on new programs. Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, and Ctrl-V has meant the same since DOS programs. Some old habits die hard.