Lightning voltage surge protection circuits

hobbybuilder

Joined Mar 24, 2007
Hi again, everybody - where we live we get hammered by lightning and so much equipment, phones, computers, electric gates, etc have been smashed by spikes. We have bought and tried many commercial surge protectors - none seem to work, not even those that come with guarantees. The amount of lightning we receive is unusual. However, I thought if I could get to grips with these light protection circuits, perhaps build one myself with the best quality components and values to improve chances next thunderstorm. Usually, we unplug everything after use, which is very tedious. Then one forgets, away from home - bang, thunderstorm, new modem, new phone, new garage door opener. So there's my story.

Do you know good links where I can start my search?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Another solution to use a UPS to buffer the incoming power to your more sensitive equipment.

Do a little research and buy a quality one since the cost of replacing the damaged device adds up quickly.

Some UPS manufacturer's provide a built-in insurance policy that covers equipment replacement in the unlikely event of damage.

hgmjr