Lightbulb powered by speaker magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriscoBradford

Joined Jan 8, 2015
I've seen a number of YouTube videos where a copper wire is wrapped through a speaker magnet (from center to edge without overlap) and then powers the light. Is there any truth to these videos? Can someone provide instructions or a link that would help me to understand how it works while helping me to construct a model of my own? Thanks, FB.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've seen a number of YouTube videos where a copper wire is wrapped through a speaker magnet (from center to edge without overlap) and then powers the light. Is there any truth to these videos? Can someone provide instructions or a link that would help me to understand how it works while helping me to construct a model of my own? Thanks, FB.
There is no truth to those videos. It is an elaborate hoax.

All the no-no surrounding the table and wood are nothing but theater. As is the continued lifting and moving of the glass. The two colors of wire is nothing more than a deflection.

I doubt the poster knows much about electronics. You don’t solder like that. And that yellow gunk looks like plumbing flux. A definite no in electronics.

There may be a couple of ways to do this, but this is the simplest.

I suspect the poster is a magician. The bulb is a readily available prop. There’s a battery inside, and when you connect the outside with the bottom it lights. That’s it, a battery powered magicians prop.

Sorry to disappoint you.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Yes, indeed. All you need to do is ask yourself why we need to buy batteries if this were real. I for one would have a big one to drive my car and never pay for fuel again. It would be nice if these simple magnetic "free energy" things worked, but no, they do not. You have to put some sort of energy into it, and as most of our electricity is "magnetically" generated, the energy to spin the magnets comes from an external source, being steam, water or wind etc. And you NEVER get more energy out that you put in, so stay away from the perpetual motion machines too.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
You really mean it doesn't work? Oh , no, I just invested lots in buying magnets and wire!. I was going to make a fortune selling these as lighting installations.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It’s definitely not free energy. I think the “magnet” may contain the magic or perhaps it’s the light bulb as suggested. Or the trick is altogether something else like video editing. Point is, there’s no way it works as implied.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It’s definitely not free energy. I think the “magnet” may contain the magic or perhaps it’s the light bulb as suggested. Or the trick is altogether something else like video editing. Point is, there’s no way it works as implied.
Are you sure, it might be Gibbs free energy or Helmholtz free energy instead of Crackpot free energy.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The magnet was my other option. Note that during the video, the “magnet” disappears offstage for a moment. Good time to swap in a fake magnet, which had the “coils” wired to in internal battery pack. The fact that the nail and speaker frame “magnetically stick” to the “speaker magnet” is easily accomplished with a smaller, powerful magnet hidden in the fake magnet shell.

(PS I have been a performance magician in my past)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Anytime you hear the terms Magnets and Energy beware of the 'free energy' hoaxer.
I think the root problem is that magnetism is easy to describe but impossible to explain. Same goes for gravity but we all experience gravity every day and can see through fakery more easily. Magnets are unfamiliar and mysterious and that leaves a hole you can drive a hoax through.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Unfortunately there are a lot of hoaxes on the web. Sometimes they involve free energy and sometimes some other dumb idea.
I saw one where the guy programmed a remote control from an ordinary air conditioner as if the air conditioner could program the remore somehow by itself.
With many of these there is often a time where something disappears for a few seconds, then reappears and only then everything seems to work. In the above example the original remote goes offscreen for a few seconds then when it comes back it works the air conditioner just fine.

There are some forms of "free" energy but this is only possible when there is already some energy present that is just not being used yet. When the energy that is lost is then recovered using a special device, then the amount of usable energy goes up. But it was always there to begin with it just wasnt being used yet. An example is with some experiments with LED's that was being conducted where the heat that is normally lost is recovered using a thermal electric device and so it helps power the LED. Even there not all of it is recoverable anyway.

For the coil and lightbulb idea to work the coil would have to be within the vicinity of a magnetic field. Since the wire is wrapped around what looks like a toroid core and since more of the field of a toroid is inside it, there would probably have to be a break somewhere in the core also in order to get the field to get inside the core. This could come from a gap in the core, but still an external field would have to be applied and that field could not be static it would have to be changing. This precludes the use of the earth's field which is mostly static.

Status
Not open for further replies.