Light fixture

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Who said LEDs don't get hot? Not as hot as an incandescent, sure. but a 3 W LED still has 3W of heat. They are just much more efficient than incandescents or CFCs.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Who said LEDs don't get hot? Not as hot as an incandescent, sure. but a 3 W LED still has 3W of heat. They are just much more efficient than incandescents or CFCs.
I guess to be more clear, why can't they be installed in an inclosed light fixture just like incandescence bubs? incandescent bulbs are much hotter. I remove LED bulbs while they are still lite. You can't even think of that with reg. bulbs, and they get installed in inclosed fixtures all the time. I'm an electrician so I know how incandescent bulbs affect the wires above the light fixture in the wires in the light fixture and I am aware of thermal cutoff devices to turn them off when they get too hot. Why can't they just use a thermal cutoff with the LEDs or fluorescent bulbs? Fixture globes are going to have cooling fans so you can install the globes. People spend hundreds of dollars on the light fixtures but have to take the globes off. What are your thoughts? Invention time, yes?

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Any fixture that uses an incandescent lamp, that light can be replaced with an LED lamp with the same sized base. Thermal cut off switches work just as well with LED lamps as they do with incandescents. The rating of the cut off switch is based on how much heat the fixture can safely dissipate.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
Any fixture that uses an incandescent lamp, that light can be replaced with an LED lamp with the same sized base. Thermal cut off switches work just as well with LED lamps as they do with incandescents. The rating of the cut off switch is based on how much heat the fixture can safely dissipate.
Do the Electronics in the leds go bad if the globes are used holding the heat in.? Or are the manufacturer's just trying to cover their butts knowing their bulbs are not going to last 10 years. Blame it on the light fixture. Problem with LED's are that one or two of the LEDs themself burn out. So the bulb is still working, but at maybe 80% capacity. I have LED trailer lights that are to work for 30 years, but already a bunch are not working. I have to buy new lights again. It gets old.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
LED bulbs on AC lines have some circuitry in them. Not as much as CFCs, but enough to make manufacturers cautious. Judging from the dimming on some of my LED bulbs they even have capacitors in them.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
If you take apart an LED bulb you will generally find several LEDs in a circle, hence, the cover to protect them. Also notice on most LED bulbs that the structure behind the cover looks a lot like........a heat sink, with ridges to help dissipate heat. Will they actually last 20 years, I doubt it. Right now it is just a optimistic reliability assessment. Why don't you put the date on the LED bulbs you install and see how many are still around in ten years. They are just starting to mass produce these things. In 5 years they might actually make a LED bulb that will last 20 years.

Whatashame

Joined Nov 30, 2015
If you take apart an LED bulb you will generally find several LEDs in a circle, hence, the cover to protect them. Also notice on most LED bulbs that the structure behind the cover looks a lot like........a heat sink, with ridges to help dissipate heat. Will they actually last 20 years, I doubt it. Right now it is just a optimistic reliability assessment. Why don't you put the date on the LED bulbs you install and see how many are still around in ten years. They are just starting to mass produce these things. In 5 years they might actually make a LED bulb that will last 20 years.
I'm saving the boxes and burned out bulbs .Have about 10 so far. Boxes say 20 year bulbs. They last 2 to 4 years. I want to make a statement to the companies who claim these lies so when I' m up to about 20 bulbs, I 'm sending them back for refund. I want to shock them into lowering prices for their crap bulbs. Talking about the spiral fluorescent bulbs to be clear. They were not cheap to buy, you are talking about 8 to 10 dollars each. Prices have come down. I do save alot on electric bill. 10 burned out bulbs at 8 dollars worth, not sure I saved anything.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
They last 2 to 4 years. I want to make a statement to the companies who claim these lies so when I' m up to about 20 bulbs
I suspect they'll wriggle out of any liability by replying that the small print reads "average life 20 years" and that your particular bulbs just weren't 'average' ones :(. Good luck, though.

AnasMalas

Joined Nov 27, 2015
If you want to see how LED bulbs are from inside, see BigClive on youtube, if you dont want to look around see this:
he likes to fiddle around with dodgy Chinese stuff... these "great" lamps cost 1 pound a pop.... yep.

the LEDs do not tolerate heat very well, they are of microscopic layers, some have low thermal stability

So they dont really like heat, while the good old ones relied on head to get them running, also they are fillled with a noble gas which prevents oxidation
also no bulb changes all its power input to heat. that is what we call a heater. old bulbs had an efficiency (wanted output(pure visible light)*100/Total input) of ~20-30% while all the other energy is turned into heat or other energy. while newer ones have an efficiency of maybe ~80%, still these cant tolerate the temp.