Li-ion battery charging termination current

plumbum_by

Joined Jul 23, 2019
Hi all,

I have a question about Li-ion rechargable batteries. I have almost no experience with it. Documentation to battery is very poor, but there is an info about charging profile: Stage 1: Constant Current 0.82 Ampere (0.2C) until Voltage reach 4.2V Stage 2: Constant Voltage (4.2V) with decreasing current 0.82A -> 0.12A
I want to design charger for that battery. I have found several charging ICs (for instance LT3650) that fit my design pretty well, but this IC terminate charging process at 1/10 of programmed charge current. In my case: 0.82A/10 = 0.082A what is about 1.5 times lower than 0.120A in battery specification.
I confused a little with min charge current in spec, I supposed the lower current you can provide the more "fully" you charge battery.

The question is: Is it safe to continue charge Li-ion after 0.12A threshold till 0.082A (and how it could affect battery) or is it better to use IC's with user programmed termination current (like LTC4068-4.2) to stop charging process exactly at 0.12A.

Thanks.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The question is: Is it safe to continue charge Li-ion after 0.12A threshold till 0.082A (and how it could affect battery)
Go by what the battery manufacturer recommends. Charging longer might be safe but may stress the battery more and shorten battery life.
Look for an IC which allows you to adjust the termination current.