Lets talk about quartz

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I am bored out of my skull. I have decided to bring up various topic some people might find interesting.

I have had stroke

Today I'll talk about quartz. A truly remarkable material Quartz generate an electric field when put under pressure.It is a natural transducer. The little spark in a lighter when you click is a result of small spring loaded hammer slapping a small piece of quartz.The property is called piezoelectric.

]
AFAIK: Lighters use a PZT piezo-ceramic.

gdm_klog

Joined Feb 24, 2013
Iwas just grateful It worked at the time.
OK - having lurked for 4 years, it's about time for my 1st post!
I've been fascinated lately by xtal oscillators, which I'd always regarded as a black art (I always found the equiv circuit unhelpful).
What particularly zonked my brain was how to spot the diff between a series and parallel osc circuit. Now I see it's mostly about phase-shift, and truly series oscillators are rare?
I have a bag of same freq HC49 xtals - 99 ! I should be able to make a decent ladder filter or two out of these once I measure the characteristics.
I've got an HP/Agilent 3336c freq synth and level generator which might be useful for xtal measuring at spot freqs.

Thanks guys for the links/PDFs - I found the USAF video surprisingly useful! (not sure about his haircut...).

And to Wendy / #12, I've been in a "dark place" for quite a while (but coming back); electronics and reading this forum has kept my brain focused.

Geoff.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK - having lurked for 4 years, it's about time for my 1st post!
I've been fascinated lately by xtal oscillators, which I'd always regarded as a black art (I always found the equiv circuit unhelpful).
What particularly zonked my brain was how to spot the diff between a series and parallel osc circuit. Now I see it's mostly about phase-shift, and truly series oscillators are rare?
I have a bag of same freq HC49 xtals - 99 ! I should be able to make a decent ladder filter or two out of these once I measure the characteristics.
I've got an HP/Agilent 3336c freq synth and level generator which might be useful for xtal measuring at spot freqs.

Thanks guys for the links/PDFs - I found the USAF video surprisingly useful! (not sure about his haircut...).

And to Wendy / #12, I've been in a "dark place" for quite a while (but coming back); electronics and reading this forum has kept my brain focused.

Geoff.
Igo for the pragmetic in electronics If something work I file it away in my head foor later. Crystals have two resonate freq right next to each other one is series pass freq and theother is a paralell LC blocking freq Both are use one way or another. BTW, welcome to the fray.