LED work lights on a Kubota L5740 tractor

BobR

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I live in northern Vermont and use a tractor for night time snow plowing. Lighting the sides front and back of the tractor are keys to fast and efficient work.

I want to replace to standard forward facing work lights on my Kubota L 5740 tractor with two forward facing LED spots and a small LED light bar. As much as I can tell the two standard work lights that I am removing are somewhere in the 55 watt range. Don't know the amperage. I'm guessing 8 to 10 amps each. The three LED lights I want to put up front are 36 watts for two of the lights and 72 watts for one of the lights. Each 36 watt light is 2.5 amps and the 72 watt light is 5 amps.

On the rear and sides of the tractor I want to put 5 lights. Four of them are 18 watts each and 1.25 amps each. The fifth light is 72 watts and 5 amps.

I really don't know whether to go direct to the battery with an inline fuse switch or wire it to an existing headlight circuit.at this point I am thinking of having the two light bars ( 1 front and 1 rear) on one switch, the four rear and side facing light on a second switch, and the 2 front facing work lights on a third switch. I have two inline fuse switches (not yet installed) and the tractor has (Already installed) a switch for the existing two front work lights. 3 switches in total, but I can always change or get more.

There you have it! Any suggestions or assistance in completing the project appreciated including how best to wire the groups of lights together. Thanks!

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
The best way to do this is to put in a secondary fuse block (available from Grote/Truck-Lite etc), and run it directlyvoff the battery. After that you can add as many circuits as you want. The advantage is that you do not disturb the OEM wiring, and if you ever want to sell the unit, you can easily restore the original wiring. It also takes the guesswork out of wiring size etc as it is by your own design. You can also by multi-switch setups to place in or under your dash for clean installs. Good luck

BobR

Joined Dec 26, 2014
The best way to do this is to put in a secondary fuse block (available from Grote/Truck-Lite etc), and run it directlyvoff the battery. After that you can add as many circuits as you want. The advantage is that you do not disturb the OEM wiring, and if you ever want to sell the unit, you can easily restore the original wiring. It also takes the guesswork out of wiring size etc as it is by your own design. You can also by multi-switch setups to place in or under your dash for clean installs. Good luck
Perfect! Great advice. Appreciate the quick response