Led strip without Driver

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Hi guys,
I have a Home Automation Motion Detector Project. I am to light a LED strip of 1meter when motion is detected. My arrangement is posted as an attachment. The Transistor is connected to a GPIO of a microcontroller through a diode and a resistor

My Q is, is a LED Driver cumpolsary in this arrangement?

Attachments

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes.
You can get away with the diode but not the transistor and base resistor.
The circuit act as a switch to light the LED strip with the low current available from a uC port.
The LED strip can be any high current one as long as the transistor can safely handle it.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
the problem is, the micro controller is outputting 3.2V 12mA from its GPIO. Hence I am a little doubtful of this circuit running as expected...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
even then the transistor will switch ON.
Test and see for yourself first.

What did you learn in school ??
Didn't you know a silicon transistor requires 0.7V at base to switch ON.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
even then the transistor will switch ON.
Test and see for yourself first.

What did you learn in school ??
Didn't you know a silicon transistor requires 0.7V at base to switch ON.
Hey relax!! I did not have an opportunity to go to school. I have been learning whatever I could bit by bit from books and little bit of internet that i get...
Anyways, thank you for your big help! I'll figure out a way on my own...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My reply was not offensive but rather a mere question.
Some go to college to party, others to learn. So by asking we know which is which.
The OP saw what he wanted to see.

Besides he did not figured it out on his own like he said.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
I did. I figured out a way to make it work without a LED driver. Plus, you did not see that if the LED strip is of high current, like you said, (considering 1A) I will require at least 100mA of base current. And 100mA is not even close to 12mA from the micro as I mentioned earlier. So I would need a different circuit all together. Which I re-designed. And now it works without a LED driver.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I did. I figured out a way to make it work without a LED driver. Plus, you did not see that if the LED strip is of high current, like you said, (considering 1A) I will require at least 100mA of base current. And 100mA is not even close to 12mA from the micro as I mentioned earlier. So I would need a different circuit all together. Which I re-designed. And now it works without a LED driver.
Wow...you must have a powerful micro. I can use that kinda IC's
What makes you think 1A will requires 100mA. It all depends on the transistor. Even 1mA can switch 10A.

YOU CANNOT DRIVE A LED STRIP IF IT EXCEEDS THE PORT CAPACITY WITHOUT A DRIVER. Period.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Even this circuit will not do the task? I am not having any Relays with me as of now. I am trying to make it work with MOSFETs and NPNs.. But if you still say even this circuit is wrong, you obv. must be right. You know more than me!

I changed the micro IO output. It now outputs a LOW to turn on the LED

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
But you said it was working. o_O

So back to square one...! :D

1. Confirm the micro output when the port is high or active high and post the result.
2. What is micro you are using ?
3. What is the LED strip operating Voltage and current ?
4. Does the Strip has current limiting resistors in it ?

Answer all 4 questions then you will get a working circuit.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
1. Micro I/O output when high is 3.2V 12mA.
2. Micro using is the OGEMRAY ESP8266
3. LED Strip = 12V 1.2A
4. The Strip has current limiting resistors in it