LED bulb Disection

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Hello folks, Hope all is well with everyone.
I bought an LED bulb this past summer. The bulb burned out last week and i opened it up , curious to know how an LED bulb looked like inside. Could you guys please let me know what those tiny yellow rectangles area?
The ones lying down flat have markings beside them that say "D1, D2,D3 ..."
The ones vertical have markings that say DV1,DV2.....etc..

thank you for your replies.

0110161854.jpg

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
D stands for Diode, so those are LEDs, of course. The yellowish tint is to counteract the natural bluish tinge of the LED to make a warmer light. My guess is that the DV stands for a Vertically mounted LED. Notice how everything is set up to carry heat away from the LED. If you were to look deeper into the base of the bulb, the electronics to supply the proper current to the LEDs should be in there.

I'm curious - what brand of bulb was it, if you remember? We have yet to burn out a single LED bulb after about 2 years of use. I'm starting to see bargain LED bulbs now - pack of 6, 60W equivalent FEIT LED bulbs for $12 at Home Depot. But I wonder if the newer ones are poorly made. The original compact fluorescent bulbs lasted forever. We still have one from 1990 that has been in continuous use. Once CFL bulbs became mainstream and cheap, they started burning out after just a year or two.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I see 3 of the vertical LEDs missing in the picture. Could it be just one or more fell off? Maybe you could fix the bulb if you soldered the loose ones back on?

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
D stands for Diode, so those are LEDs, of course. The yellowish tint is to counteract the natural bluish tinge of the LED to make a warmer light. My guess is that the DV stands for a Vertically mounted LED. Notice how everything is set up to carry heat away from the LED. If you were to look deeper into the base of the bulb, the electronics to supply the proper current to the LEDs should be in there.

I'm curious - what brand of bulb was it, if you remember? We have yet to burn out a single LED bulb after about 2 years of use. I'm starting to see bargain LED bulbs now - pack of 6, 60W equivalent FEIT LED bulbs for $12 at Home Depot. But I wonder if the newer ones are poorly made. The original compact fluorescent bulbs lasted forever. We still have one from 1990 that has been in continuous use. Once CFL bulbs became mainstream and cheap, they started burning out after just a year or two.
it was this led bulb....

http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/performance/performance_led/performance_led/a19/bpom60-830-led

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
I see 3 of the vertical LEDs missing in the picture. Could it be just one or more fell off? Maybe you could fix the bulb if you soldered the loose ones back on?
yes u r correct. some of the leds came off while disassembling the bulb. and the electronics inside the bulb! oh boy! it almost looks like a small micro controller or something!

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello folks, Hope all is well with everyone.
I bought an LED bulb this past summer. The bulb burned out last week and i opened it up , curious to know how an LED bulb looked like inside. Could you guys please let me know what those tiny yellow rectangles area?
The ones lying down flat have markings beside them that say "D1, D2,D3 ..."
The ones vertical have markings that say DV1,DV2.....etc..

thank you for your replies.

View attachment 98431
How did it fail? All lights out or just a few? All lights out sounds like a controller problem. The LEDs didn't fail. The driver did.