LED auxiliary lights with narrow focus for vehicles

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
We all face the problem of insufficient light from the stock headlamp. We then opt for aftermarket solutions such as LED bulbs or HID kits. But we are not the kind of people that would just buy stuff, we would rather make it ourselves. I saw some LED work lights but they were very expensive and the cheaper ones had false claims of high lumen output.

I am very new to all of this electronic world and I am still learning and exploring.

Now I want to make 2 LED lights for my motorcycle to illuminate the path with sharp and powerful lights.

First I decided to use 300 5mm chinese LED diodes that use 20mA and 3.2V to produce 8000mcd and a beam angle of 30 degree (a product listed on AliExpress). The total watts consumed would be 25watts and 2400lumens would be produced.
But this project would need alot of soldering and connections.

When I decided to use 3watts LED chips instead, I could not find lens to focus the light at a near 30 degree. The chips themselves were a 120 degree beam angle. It would just spread light all over and not on the road, it would also create glare for other drivers and riders.

Now I want your valuable knowledge and experience to reach to an efficient and effective solution. I am very open to ideas in which if anyone of you wanted to make a LED light how would have you done it?

My bike has a 12v battery and it has ample power supply. Please help and guide this new member. Any help will be highly appreciated.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I think that 30 degrees is probably too wide an angle. Even 18 degrees may be too much. If I were doing it I would, first, measure the angle of our present headlight and try to duplicate that.

Try to find a single, much higher, brightness LED. Choose one that is on a star board and has a focusing reflector/lens available for it.
Here is a reflector/lens intended for use with a star board made by LED Engin Inc.:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en...ty=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&nstock=1&pageSize=25

Other companies make LED's on star boards such as this one (which might or might not work with the LED Engin reflector/lens):
https://www.digikey.com/products/en...ty=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&nstock=1&pageSize=25

This LED will need a driver module the takes the battery voltage and steps it up in voltage and limits the current to a safe level for the LED's. Using resistors to limit the current to the LED's will not work very well for these high power LED's.

This will likely be more expensive than wiring a bunch of Chinese LED's but will be much more likely to work when you are done.

One final comment. No matter how you build your headlight you will need a huge amount of heat sinking for the LED. Remember that it is dissipating tens of watts and has to work in the heat of summer in the bright sun.

By the way, where are you located? This will help us give better advise on a source of the LED's.

Hussain Shabbir

Joined Mar 5, 2018
I think that 30 degrees is probably too wide an angle. Even 18 degrees may be too much. If I were doing it I would, first, measure the angle of our present headlight and try to duplicate that.

Try to find a single, much higher, brightness LED. Choose one that is on a star board and has a focusing reflector/lens available for it.
Here is a reflector/lens intended for use with a star board made by LED Engin Inc.:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/optics-lenses/112?k=led+lens&k=&pkeyword=led+lens&pv551=64&FV=fffc0601,ffe00070&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&nstock=1&pageSize=25

Other companies make LED's on star boards such as this one (which might or might not work with the LED Engin reflector/lens):
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/led-lighting-cobs-engines-modules/111?k=led&k=&pkeyword=led&pv1830=2747&FV=9405e3,9406a9,94082b,940008,9403c3,9403c5,9403c6,ffe0006f,fffc03d0,33c02cd&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&nstock=1&pageSize=25

This LED will need a driver module the takes the battery voltage and steps it up in voltage and limits the current to a safe level for the LED's. Using resistors to limit the current to the LED's will not work very well for these high power LED's.

This will likely be more expensive than wiring a bunch of Chinese LED's but will be much more likely to work when you are done.

One final comment. No matter how you build your headlight you will need a huge amount of heat sinking for the LED. Remember that it is dissipating tens of watts and has to work in the heat of summer in the bright sun.

By the way, where are you located? This will help us give better advise on a source of the LED's.
I am in Pakistan, I do not have access to such retailers and products My only source of components is china, namely AliExpress (AliBaba). The problem with these chinese sellers is that their product details are not accurate and mostly its exaggerated lies.

Another thing that I want to know is that are 5mm clear LED diode able to produce 6000-8000mcd per diode? Because these types of diode have been the very first LED to surface, and since their initial time a lot of advancement has been done in LED, so would these LED diode also be on today's standard or those standards that have been present since the initial days.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While I have no clue as to any regulations in Pakistan here in the US Headlights, all headlights, vehicle spotlights and anything vehicle related are controlled under DOT (Department of Transportation) guidelines. I added a new LED headlight and side spots last year to my motorcycle so they are starting their second season. My advice is since you have AliExpress buy LED lighting for your motorcycle rather than attempt to build. I went with DayMaker LED lights which are Cree but I am sure depending on make and model of your motorcycle you can find suitable headlights and other bike lights through AliExpress.

Ron

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
This is a case where it's obviously better and cheaper to buy rather than make.

I suspect that this is a school project so I'll at least offer some design bullet points.

• Source LED or LED array of sufficient luminosity.
  • Design and build constant current source to drive LED.
  • Design and build optics to focus light at desired angle.
  • Design and build housing to protect all components from dust, mechanical shock and water and include thermal management for LED and power circuit.
  • At all times consider the need to integrate all components and subassemblies.

Last edited: