LED as power indicator

Skubby SkinnyChubby

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Hi,

i want my LED to light up when the power supply is on, so question is i can design the circuit( image attached)
supply voltage is 24V, and is there any problem doing this?

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If the led is rating at 2V/20mA, and considering the brightness and usage life, I will recommended that you should use it about 16 mA is better, so the resistor will be as 1K+360Ω or 1K+390Ω and the current will be as 16.2 mA or 15.8 mA.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For battery-powered equipment, where the additional battery drain of the LED indicator subtracts from the useful battery life, you might consider a self-flashing LED, which has lower total current demands. Also, I have operated Red "ultra-bright", high-efficiency LEDs on as little as 500uA (not near 20mA as Scott suggests), and they are still bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight as a power ON indicator.

Do an experiment; the LED current only needs to be whatever it takes for you to see the indicator...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What's your suggestion for the circuit and current?
Me? I would likely use the resistor current limiter the TS showed in #1, just using a higher ohms resistor to get the current in the 1-5mA range. If I had a flashing LED and I cared a LOT about current draw, I'd use that.

If I really needed to limit power, I'd look at a 555 flasher with a duty cycle of, say, just 1%. (I assume a normal flashing LED has a higher duty cycle.) A 1ms flash every one second or so, that sort of thing. Of course it would have to be a low power 555.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If I really needed to limit power, I'd look at a 555 flasher with a duty cycle of, say, just 1%. (I assume a normal flashing LED has a higher duty cycle.) A 1ms flash every one second or so, that sort of thing. Of course it would have to be a low power 555.
As you suggested that as 555 and 1% duty cycle, how is the current (mA)?