LCD replace for my JUNO-G synthesizer

hide24

Joined Jul 9, 2019
Hello everyone,
I bought a used roland Juno-G which it's display doesn't work properly.
When I turn on seems not appear anything on the screen, only sometimes black squares.
I opened the synth, and it seems one of the ribbon flex cable it has damage 3 pins.
The problem is this ribbon cable I can't replace because is stuck with a black glue.
So now I'm wondering to buy a new display.
How can I know what kind of graphic display in order to buy a new one? I asked roland and it cost the original one more than 200 dolars, so I was thinking to buy it in another place.
I will attach a photo.
Is it possible to take out that glue and replace cable, or needs to replace all LCD?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I would carefully try to peel the black junk off and resolder the cable. Getting a suitable display will be expensive I think.
Flat cables are available on Ebay and other places if you need to replace it. Just make sure you get the correct size.

hide24

Joined Jul 9, 2019
Thank you very much. How are soldered those cables? or they put this kind of black glue over and that's it?
Has to be very difficult and accurate..

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Just careful soldering. The black glue is for mechanical strength.
If you can clean it off from the broken wires, then scrape the plastic off each conductor in the ribbon cable, you may be able to solder a fine wire strand across the breaks.
Then when it is going again, cover with some silicone or hot glue to keep it in place.