Laser Rust Remover

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can you find a 1000 watt laser diode?
I don't think so.
Maybe Spectra Physics will sell you a 1000 watt laser if you prove you can use it safely.
No. They only go to 200 watts.
How many thousand dollars do you have for this project?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No, we can't. This would be an extraordinarily bad do-it-yourself project. It would be very dangerous, and probably impossible to get the supplies anyway. Stick to steel wool and Coca Cola.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I still have half a gallon of, "Os-fo" phosphoric acid.
Strange, the results look just like the results of Evapo-rust.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The MSDS claims it contains a proprietary detergent and a proprietary chelating agent. That could be a fancy word for phosphoric acid, but they would be risking a lot by shipping phosphoric acid without noting so on the MSDS.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
That's kind of a slow process. Another trick if you have time to do it, is a container of molasses. Not the cooking type but the raw stuff from a feed store.
It is slow, but it can actually reverse the rusting. Usually a soak overnight in an electrolysis solution will be enough. Just be sure to connect the electrodes in the correct polarity. One way reverses the rusting - the other way accellerates the rusting.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sir
Nowadays laser rust remover is in craze on internet.. it removes rust from metal without demaging metal and even not harmful to person..
Can we make such small project based laser rust remover atat home... using parts like laser diode??
How can we do this at home??

this is the link i got some information about it...

https://m.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/4a4r2p/how_do_the_lasers_that_remove_rust_work/
Wonder how big the pieces could be and how long it could take vis-a-vis the surface to treat. What about irregular shapes?

I still have half a gallon of, "Os-fo" phosphoric acid.
Strange, the results look just like the results of Evapo-rust.
Looks like the liquid we used on board (sure you have big surfaces there); rust converter serving as a base for the primer. I cannot remember the brand and could not find it either in the Hempel's catalog.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Looks like the liquid we used on board (sure you have big surfaces there); rust converter serving as a base for the primer. I cannot remember the brand and could not find it either in the Hempel's catalog
There are also, "rust converters", that change ferric oxide(rust) into another ferric compound. These converters don't remove the rust but change it into another form. Most use tannic acid instead of phosphoric acid.