Laser diode help

Peter basolo

Joined Nov 24, 2014
So I built my own laser reset me with double a batteries as those were my most accessible source of power and though I have the optimal current/voltage it only seems to be about 1/10 of what the diode is rated for (it's rated for 150 mW). The driver board and I am usingas has a potentiometer but once I get it to its brightest and turn it a little farther it just shuts off which is strange but I'm just assuming that's how this particular board work it's made by aixizI know it's a good board but I cannot see the being nor does any electrical tape burden or match light so therefore leave meet you to think that Waze or a burning around 15 mill lots and 30 mW which is obviously a lot less than I bought the diode for so was wondering if you had any input as to what I should do or if buying a lithium polymer battery would be my only option. The diodes Automall current/voltage is i'll hundred and 120 mA/6 V. The diode can run safely at 160 mA but dies out around 180 the seller said. So thanks for reading this horribly long posts and I appreciate your input. :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
So I built my own laser reset me with double a batteries as those were my most accessible source of power and though I have the optimal current/voltage it only seems to be about 1/10 of what the diode is rated for (it's rated for 150 mW). The driver board and I am usingas has a potentiometer but once I get it to its brightest and turn it a little farther it just shuts off which is strange but I'm just assuming that's how this particular board work it's made by aixizI know it's a good board but I cannot see the being nor does any electrical tape burden or match light so therefore leave meet you to think that Waze or a burning around 15 mill lots and 30 mW which is obviously a lot less than I bought the diode for so was wondering if you had any input as to what I should do or if buying a lithium polymer battery would be my only option. The diodes Automall current/voltage is i'll hundred and 120 mA/6 V. The diode can run safely at 160 mA but dies out around 180 the seller said. So thanks for reading this horribly long posts and I appreciate your input. :)
A laser diode should be powered by constant current - if you've fed it from a potentiometer and cranked it up till it goes off again; its probably toast!

150mW isn't trivial for a set of AA cells - you might have dodged the bullet if the terminal voltage collapsed because of the cells internal resistance.

Peter basolo

Joined Nov 24, 2014
A laser diode should be powered by constant current - if you've fed it from a potentiometer and cranked it up till it goes off again; its probably toast!

150mW isn't trivial for a set of AA cells - you might have dodged the bullet if the terminal voltage collapsed because of the cells internal resistance.
What would you recommend for a portable power supply?