Laptop Power Problems

carlcat

Joined Aug 22, 2007
I have a question concerning power issues with a Toshiba satellite m35x 109. From all my reading, who hasn't had power issues with this model. Infact, all material I have found concerning disassembling this model was for the purpose of repairing the power jack. I am no exception. I fixed/re-installed the power jack to the motherboard and when hooked up to AC, I have an AC and Battery Charging indication leading to 100% charge....providing that the laptop is turned off. Once I turn the laptop back on, I still have an AC power indication but my battery is not being charged and is infact draining. Once the battery returns to zero, I get an annoying low battery warning tone (which I beleive I can eliminate in the biosbut defeats the point). Could it be that the power adapter providing the DC current might be going low and cannot handle the load of both the laptop and the battery, or, is the battery going bad and has excessive internal resistance providing too great a load? Or something else? Thank you so very much for any assistance!

carlcat

Joined Aug 22, 2007
I'm leaning toward the battery. I had the laptop on battery with the display going full bore and the battery lasted barely 2 hours. I might try and do a load test on the power adapter just to see if it can kick out what it said it would. Someone was telling me about some switching circuit that takes the battery offline when AC is on but I haven't seen or read about such an animal.

carlcat

Joined Aug 22, 2007
I haven't installed all the screws that hold the bottom casingin place for sake of ease since I was thinking I might have to pull it apart again. Is it posible that these screws are needed for grounding purposes and would affect power behavior if not installed?

sharkfire

Joined Feb 13, 2008
I think I have the same problem as yours. My laptop only turns on if plugged. If unplugged, the laptop will immediately turn off, just like a SYstem Unit.

Where did you purchase your laptop... Try to ask them or visit their service center...

carlcat

Joined Aug 22, 2007
My laptop would work fine off the battery when the laptop's not plugged in. But it would continue to drain the battery even when AC is hooked up. It started working intermittently so I was questioning a possible ground issue. I didn't have all the casing screws installed ( for fear that I would have to take them out again) so once I installed all the screws, it seems to function correctly and consistantly. Ifyou ever have crazy problems that defy logic, go check ground first.

I bought this laptop from a friend for $150.00 (think I got a good deal)and when I posed the symptoms to local service centers, their solutions were well intended but irrelevant to what was happening. Key word here in this whole thread I think is the word "intermittent." Thanks for everyone's input!