Laptop charger as a power supply

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Hello please could you help me, I am wanting to use this old laptop charger to power a DPS3012 Power supply module.
I need to connect 2 banana plugs, what I would like to know is, can I just cut off the jack plug? or should I also cut off the suppressor?
Thank you very much
John... :)

lead 1.jpg

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I would bet that if he had no choice but to cut off the suppressor he could probably strip it down to the bare toroidal core halves and just reattach it further up the line. Use tape to hold it together and in place. OR if you can find shrink sleeving that will accommodate that large an item and still shrink down sufficiently - - - .

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
I would bet that if he had no choice but to cut off the suppressor he could probably strip it down to the bare toroidal core halves and just reattach it further up the line. Use tape to hold it together and in place. OR if you can find shrink sleeving that will accommodate that large an item and still shrink down sufficiently - - - .
Thank you for help it is much appreciated... :)

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Hi folks, I have cut off the jack that is no longer needed, and I was surprised to see that one of the wires is stripped bare encircling the other wire.
Is there a reason for this please ? Charger lead 1.jpg
Thanks again
John.. :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
John... :)
Its best to leave the ferrite collar on unless its in the way.

Sometimes you can strip the outer PVC with the collar on it, if you have a sharp knife and are very brave - you can cut away the moulded plastic and relocate the collar wherever you want it.

An easier option is replace it with a split collar, 2 halves and a sort of clip together plastic cage. I used to salvage them from scrap VGA monitors, but someone somewhere must sell them.

Before I switched to DAB radio, I had to clip ferrite collars to everything in sight for reception without digital hash.