Ladder program on Mitsubishi-type GFX3 PLC turns on LEDs but not contacts

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
I just found this in the manual. So I guess if Im using the X inputs (digital inputs) they are sink types which require me to connect S/S to 24V? So now I need a wire from 24V to S/S?:Screenshot 2018-10-31 11.29.39.png

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
Before connecting S/S to 24V+, I lightly tapped a wire between 0V on PLC and X0 and I saw a little spark so I want to post before I try the 24V to S/S terminal. This time I connected S/S to 24V+ and I'll power up the plc:

B9BE3127-99CE-45BF-8F00-D25118ECA8FC.jpeg

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
Sorry, I had to leave the office, I just wanted to check with you to make sure the wiring picture was ok BEFORE setting the plc on fire or something :)

Ill check tomorrow, or ill call in and see if someone can power it up and see if it works.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
OK the manufacturer wrote back and answered:

The model CX3G-24MT-6AD4DA-A4- A4-485, is transistor output and it is sinking digital I/O.

And I tried the program with the 24v jumped to the s/s and the sensor lights up its led but the plc doesn't.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
OK I'll check that in a couple of hours. In the meantime I wrote to the manufacturer about the problem and they said their plcs are npn and we should connect npn sensors. But I remember reading that even if the plc is one type I can use another type, right? I just have to wire it differently.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it has a S/S terminal it should be configurable as is the standard Mitsubishi.
I believe they might be referring to the solid state output?
Try connecting the S/S to the -ve supply and using the +ve terminal to any input, if it only works with source input then you should see an input LED light.
I am beginning to gather that this is your first time with PLC's, is this for a particular project in mind or a means of becoming familiar with them?
Max.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
Yesterday I told my assistant to power up the jumped 24V-S/S PLC since I had left it wired up but wasnt sure about powering it up before asking again. Apparently he powered it up and it didnt work {meaning the plc light didnt power up} so he unplugged it and left it.

Today I came in and powered it up and put a metal object in front of the sensor and the PLC didnt light up but also the LED in the back of the sensor just dimmed a bit instead of turning off completely as before. I decided to disconnect the 24V-S/S jumper and try again but the same dimming result. So I swapped out the sensor for another sensor I have and that one's led turned off completely. So i think the original one is damaged. I did a bit more testing on the damaged one and noticed that the voltage across 0V and X0 is only 10.7V whereas on the new one its 24V.

So im back to this:

PLC Manufacturer states all their plcs have NPN input types.
PLC Manufacturer instructions say the plc is sinking type (npn passive) and requires the jumper between 24V and S/S.
Sensor is PNP type...er was PNP type. But the other one is also PNP type.

With PLCs yes, but Ive worked with arduino and an arduino-plc from industrial shields, for years. Its just for a demo of motor and proximity sensor for separating metal objects from non metal objects.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Firstly I would forget the sensor for now and ensure the PLC is working correctly and is in the RUN mode.
Connect a simple P.B. to the required input and get that working first, once OK, then the sensor can be connected and tested.
Regardless of any programmed logic, the input status LED will light when activated.
The PLC has to be optionally sink or source input if fitted with a S/S terminal like the Mits. ver I would think.!?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So you're saying simple connect:

PLC ---------PLC
0V ------------S/S
24V-----------X0

like that?
That would be the source configuration.
Normally you will not damage anything by placing either polarity to the input, X0 etc, just only one would work of course.
Max.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
ok great thanks, ill try this. I have to go downstairs to do it. in the meantime, im watching this video:

and noticed that his sensor's LED lights up when actuated whereas my sensor's LED lights up from the get go and turns off when actuated. He says his sensor is PNP, mine is PNP according to the label and manufacturer link. Could this mean that perhaps my sensor is NOT PNP or is that just a manufacturer preference whether their LED lights up when open or closed? Mine actually says its NO.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
I just asked the manufacturer if it's possible to connect a pnp sensor to their plc and they said:

"The answer is no. Your PLC is transistor output and only can connect NPN sensors. If relay output, then yes."

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
That is for the OUTPUT's the Inputs should be configurable per the S/S!
Sounds like a language/communication problem?
Max.
I connected 24v to x2 and I connected 0v to ss and nothing lights up:

0EDC53DA-82C2-4980-93C0-6E929388FB34.jpeg

NOTE: The GREEN LED for RUN at the top is actually blinking, not fixed.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I re-read the instructions and it states a 24vdc External Supply?
Are you providing this to the 0V and 24v terminals on the PLC, or do these terminals register a DC voltage when measured?
Max.

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
So i have a 24vdc PS connected to the wall, it supplies 24V to the PLC and can be read at the 0V and 24V terminals of the PLC.

I also just tested an NPN proximity sensor and so here is how I tested both, PNP and NPN by themselves, with a 9V battery. Both are supposed to be NO.

PNP when I power it up lights up its RED LED on the back. When i trip the sensor the RED LED turns off.

NPN when I power it up the RED LED doesnt light up. When I trip the sensor the RED LED lights up.

So what I dont understand is how come the PLC inputs haven't lit up yet. I even uploaded a program where I did -|/|-x1------------(y1)- and the y1 lights up but the x1 did not.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well back to diag 6 in post #41 it is simply connecting a 24vdc supply and using a source device such as your sensor to a sink input, this should work, As I previously said, you can test the inputs by taking the input to ov as per shown in diag 6.
If this does not work it might appear something else is wrong with the unit?
Max.