Knowledgeable about encoders?

GenJacks

Joined May 15, 2016
Our only elevator in the company is not working since May. This has been very difficult for others and my part as well because my office is located on the 3rd floor. The technicians in charge told me that they have no stocks of “rotary encoders” to replace the defective one and said it would take 3 more months to order for replacement. So, I volunteered to personally look for this equipment so that they can fix it ASAP. I would like to ask if there is any company or supplier than can help me. Any suggestions? TIA

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Umm... Seriously? You're not thinking of doing the work yourself, are you?

To help locate the item having the manufacturer and the exact part number(s) is essential.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is a typical quadrature rotary encoder there are several mauf. where a sub can be obtained from.
You require to know output detail, RS485 differential? single ended open collector, push pull output.
Also is it shaft driven type or through hole.
As reported, the original model & make is needed for any more recommendation.
Max.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you do this work yourself, you should understand the world of economic hurt you will be in if someone is killed or injured.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Our only elevator in the company is not working since May. This has been very difficult for others and my part as well because my office is located on the 3rd floor. The technicians in charge told me that they have no stocks of “rotary encoders” to replace the defective one and said it would take 3 more months to order for replacement. So, I volunteered to personally look for this equipment so that they can fix it ASAP. I would like to ask if there is any company or supplier than can help me. Any suggestions? TIA
Wait for him...
@Glenn Holland should be here momentarily.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have worked on freight elevators or though technically here you have to have a elevator electrician license.
However I have installed and replaced hundreds of encoders of different makes and stripes, and they are relatively easy devices once you get into them.
AFAIK the only personnel elevators that use encoders are AC motor/VFD closed loop types.
Max.

GenJacks

Joined May 15, 2016
Honestly speaking, I do not know much about rotary encoders. All I want is to get a replacement, so technicians can start fixing our elevator. I am going to ask them on what specific details do we need whether "AC motor/VFD closed loop types or whatsoever". BTW, someone suggested to try "Dynapar". Sorry I do not have any idea about this company or supplier, but if you are familiar and you have tried it before, please let me know ASAP. Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate it very much. :)