KIWA MW Loop Antenna Repair

wpri268

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I have a KIWA loop antenna that is not working. It was dead after taking it out of storage after a couple of years. Physically it is in mint condition and was stored away from heat and high humidity.

Bottom line is that I detect no output from the antenna on my communications receiver. It will not tune to any frequency, and therefore will not null.

Kiwa no longer manufactures this antenna and consequently provides no support for it. They have ignored my requests for help or information on circuit operation or diagnosing the problem.

The schematic is attached for reference. Unfortunately there are no voltages or bias states noted.

So far I have examined some of the obvious simple things. The coax from antenna to receiver was substituted with RG8. The power supply from the AC adapter to the output of the regulator checked OK. Continuity of the cable between the ctrl box and the preamp is good. I cant find any output signal either at the preamp output or the SO239 connectors with a scope.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Have you downloaded the datasheets for each of the active components?

Have you developed a test plan to test the individual components?

wpri268

Joined Feb 18, 2012
The power on LED does light.

While I do have a good understanding of electronics principles, troubleshooting circuits like this are not my forte. So no, I have not developed a test plan for individual components. I have looked a some of the component data sheets ( the handwritten notes on the schematic are mine) but they dont help me with circuit operation..