Kids car overvoltage problems

HandyB

Joined Aug 8, 2019
Hi!

I have a kids car that runns on a 12v battery, also have this 2.4ghz rc controller.
I was trying a 14v litium battery from my rc car on it and it worked fine, for about 10 min before the battery was empty.

My problem and question:

* I tried a 18v drill battery on in and it started fine and then stopped. Now i have no power to the wheels or steering at all. with 12v everything works but no power at all to the wheels or steering. Overvoltage?
* Is there a lead to what i can start to troubleshoot? Noobie at circuit boards.
* I got parts so i can solder of and resolder new parts.

Hope for some replies :) My kid love this car

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
* I tried a 18v drill battery on in and it started fine and then stopped. Now i have no power to the wheels or steering at all. with 12v everything works but no power at all to the wheels or steering. Overvoltage?
This is something you should never do. You can't expect manufacturers to over design their products to prevent damage from users doing bad things.

With voltage, more isn't always better...
* Is there a lead to what i can start to troubleshoot? Noobie at circuit boards.
Disassemble any electronic modules and look (and smell) for things that have died. Check for any fuses. Hopefully overvoltage didn't damage the motors.
* I got parts so i can solder of and resolder new parts.
The hard part will be finding damaged parts.
Hope for some replies :) My kid love this car
Bad daddy:eek:

HandyB

Joined Aug 8, 2019
Fuses are ok, have disassemble the electronics and it looks ok. No smell or no burned circuit?
I got ekstra motors ;)
The relays isnt working eighter, no click sound. and no click at the steering relay.. hmm

Is it some kind of resistors or something like that i can look at?

Haha, yeah bad daddy :O Got another car, buuut the same thing happend there without doing some kind of DIY stuff.

HandyB

Joined Aug 8, 2019
This is something you should never do. You can't expect manufacturers to over design their products to prevent damage from users doing bad things.

With voltage, more isn't always better...

The car wasn't going good in grass and stuff so i tried overvoltage by stage. but a 18v battery was to mutch so it kind of locked it self?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Is this a RC car? Could you post pictures of the circuit board? 12V products can have components rated for 15-16V max... so 18V could damage them.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The car wasn't going good in grass and stuff so i tried overvoltage by stage. but a 18v battery was to mutch so it kind of locked it self?
What made you think that that was a good thing to do? What problem were you trying to solve?

If the tires were spinning, you need better tires. If the motor wasn't powerful enough, you need a motor with more torque or a battery with more current capacity. My understanding is that motors have maximum torque at stall. Increasing current causes issues with heat. Increasing voltage by 50% is rarely a good solution.

Something running with a rechargeable 12V battery would probably operate at 13.8V or so because most 12V chargers would have output in that range. 18V is 50% above the recommended voltage; not a good idea.

HandyB

Joined Aug 8, 2019
Hehe no, not a good idea. The circuit board is cheap on ebay, but this is something that interessts me alot. Fail and try again right?

I will fix a pic of the board, this is a powerwheeler for my kid. Runns well on my drone battery with 14v. So was testing with 18v for a sec for results. This board also have a rc transmitter to a separate rc controller for the adults.
It is not good enough for the terrain arond my area. Was actually mounting my hub wheels from my hoverboard and a rc transmitter to just the motors. Steering was separate to the other controller. But wow what a difference that was. No problems at all in any hills.

Had to build a better frame for it but instead i mountet the original motors and tested with that.

My problem and question is what components has been damaged, so i can resolder and solder on new componentes to get i working again. Powers on and the music plays a brom brom sound. Lights ok, sound ok, horn ok but nothing else. no power to the relays, eighter manual or with the rc controller.

this is a typical china board, that i can see. simple readings of the circuit, but i do not have any clue my self where to start troubleshooting this.
That i s what i need help for :)

HandyB

Joined Aug 8, 2019
What made you think that that was a good thing to do? What problem were you trying to solve?

If the tires were spinning, you need better tires. If the motor wasn't powerful enough, you need a motor with more torque or a battery with more current capacity. My understanding is that motors have maximum torque at stall. Increasing current causes issues with heat. Increasing voltage by 50% is rarely a good solution.

Something running with a rechargeable 12V battery would probably operate at 13.8V or so because most 12V chargers would have output in that range. 18V is 50% above the recommended voltage; not a good idea.
Totaly understand your concern.. But this was my try and fail prodjekt :) And now i wonder what can i do and what can i fix my self on this.