KiCad ERC design errors

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Started learning KiCad primarily to start designing my own prototype surface mound and through hole PCBs. At the last stage of the schematic design and ran ERC which produced many warnings and errors. This is all new to me so I'm not sure just how to correct them since I'm not really sure just what some of them are telling me. I did not have any ERC problems prior to this last iteration of the design or at least none that I couldn't understand and fix but now I do. Let's start with this first one. As per the 7.0 tutorial I'm using I tied both of the 5V outputs of the power source together and got this error.
1702054430506.png
OK, I connected them as per the tutorial so why am I having this problem? Here is the relevant part of the KiCad schematic for this error. Is there a "correct" way to connect 2 equal voltage power sources? Personally, I would prefer a single source but this is what the tutorial called for and apparently the tutorial did not get an error for it using V7.0 so I have no idea why I do. Does it have anything to do with assigning the pins the "Power output" designation?
1702058278180.png

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I don't use KiCad but I can see why 'Power Output' pins would raise an error. By default they would be assumed to be separate Power rail Output sources.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You can assign them as such, just that Kicad does not like two sources connected together.
Exactly, as I would not do myself but this tutorial did and somehow got away with it, or appeared to. They also screwed up on matching the grid to the symbol spacings which I was smart enough to avoid. OK, on to the next error...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
These are simply text notes added to the schematic for design clarity when reviewed. Why is it trying to link them to anything?

1702061115429.png
1702061344659.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I would assume you can make the connection a warning or use the solder jumper trick to isolate the traces.
It also generates warnings, but in this case, it is an error that MUST be corrected before you are able to generate a PCB layout. Jumpering after layout could possibly be done by adding pads to be used later? Dunno yet...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It also generates warnings, but in this case, it is an error that MUST be corrected before you are able to generate a PCB layout. Jumpering after layout could possibly be done by adding pads to be used later? Dunno yet...
I've done the quick and dirty add solder pad jumper in the schematic a few times just to move on.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This is similar to the previous error, a Text label to indicate what the inset is for...
1702062017671.png
1702062113841.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't user KiCAD, so I'm just guessing, but my guess is that you are using a "label", which is intended to give names to signals, in situations in which you should just be using some kind of "text" object.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
add solder pad jumper in the schematic a few times just to move on
Tying 2 power sources together is just bad practice. Use a single power source capable of supplying the needed voltage and current with sufficient overhead to not run at 100% continuously.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I believe it is because you used "label" and did not assign it to any object, use Text.
Label is used when editing an object or device to attach it to.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Tying 2 power sources together is just bad practice. Use a single power source capable of supplying the needed voltage and current with sufficient overhead to not run at 100% continuously.
Sure.

It's a ERC thing FIX (nag stopper) not actual power sources, like connecting devices with vcc label pins to other devices with vdd label pins to the same power supply bus.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yup, it was a label vs text problem. Now, for ground pins and ground symbols, what type of line assignment? Using "ouput" generates error, so, "passive" or...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This is what I added using 7.0 EDIT: the power flag is not giving me an error...
1702065494184.png
Also, my right hand menu is very abbreviated. Can it be edited somewhere?
1702065618466.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK, almost done, this is the last standing error.
1702065884220.png
1702065999792.png
Notice the one in the middle. I already corrected that symbol to change the pin assignment from "output power" to "passive" and its error went away everywhere the symbol is used except for these two. Editing them has had no effect! I'll try deleting them and copying the good symbol and see what happens... OK, somethings wrong. This is like playing whack-a-mole, as soon as I "update" one the error jumps to another ground symbol. I used the ground symbol from the right hand menu and I can't seem to find the problem with it...