Just got my COVID vaccine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
For additional perspective on the blood clots with J&J, they had 25 cases during their trials; 10 were in people who received a placebo.

Symptoms showed up 6-13 days after receiving the injection. Hopefully doctors will be aware that these blood clots aren't treated like others. Standard treatment can make clots caused by the J&J shot more severe.

EDIT: The 6-13 day timeframe is for the US cases.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The US has halted use of the J&J vaccine pending further review.
That's a bizarre response. All day long the government and sycophantic media hammer us to get the vaccine and yet a tiny, tiny risk warrants a full stop? That tells me that getting vaccinated can't really be all that important after all.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
That's a bizarre response. All day long the government and sycophantic media hammer us to get the vaccine and yet a tiny, tiny risk warrants a full stop? That tells me that getting vaccinated can't really be all that important after all.
It’s a full stop of only the J&J vaccine. There are two other vaccines approved for use Pfizer and Moderna. There is sufficient quantities of those two vaccines to meet the US vaccination goal on time.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It’s a full stop of only the J&J vaccine. There are two other vaccines approved for use Pfizer and Moderna. There is sufficient quantities of those two vaccines to meet the US vaccination goal on time.
Pulling an option off the list will inevitably delay some people from being vaccinated.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Here the J&J was mainly given to those they don't expect to see again and in remote locations without special refrigeration (Walgreens, Safeway, Albertsons and Fred Meyer locally). Using only expensive (in time and effort) or cumbersome (support requirements) vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna will slow the US vaccination goal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-vaccine-risk.html

Did Spotlighting a Rare Potential Vaccine Side Effect Put More at Risk?
Some public health officials fear that the pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine may fuel vaccine hesitancy and expose more Americans to a bigger danger: the coronavirus.

But where scientists saw prudence, public health officials saw a delicate trade-off: The blood clotting so far appears to affect just one out of every million people injected with the vaccine, and it is not yet clear if the vaccine is the cause. If highlighting the clotting heightens vaccine hesitancy and bolsters conspiracy theorists, the “pause” in the end could ultimately sicken — and even kill — more people than it saves.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Pulling an option off the list will inevitably delay some people from being vaccinated.
Officials are saying that there's sufficient supply of Moderna and Pfizer vaccines that any lack of J&J won't affect the goals they've set.

IMO, the delays are being caused by an unwieldy sign-up process. I checked websites for several weeks before I was able to get an appointment. My Wife and Mother-In-Law haven't been able to make appointments because places won't make appointments unless they have vaccine. My Wife is literally sitting there and refreshing web pages. I told the doctor who gave me my shot that that's dumb. When people become eligible, they should be able to sign up for locations that are convenient and then the state tells them when and where to get their shot.

Having states open appointments up for 16 and older in a week is going to make it harder for more vulnerable people to get vaccinated.

There is a mass vaccination site an hour away where we could have gotten appointments, but none of us wanted to drive that far or be around hundreds or thousands of people getting vaccinated at the same time.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is also said that when you got your first shot from one of the vaccins, the second shot should be with the same vaccin.

Bertus

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It is also said that when you got your first shot from one of the vaccins, the second shot should be with the same vaccin.
Before I received my first shot, they told me when my second shot would be. If you couldn't make the second appointment, they wouldn't give you the first shot.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When people become eligible, they should be able to sign up for locations that are convenient and then the state tells them when and where to get their shot.
I agree. I ran an e-commerce site that was similar in operation to the vaccine sign-up sites. It sold limited reservations for large events. I was appalled at the poor design of the Massachusetts site. But they tweaked the design weekly, improving the experience.

But then, they finally released a site that did exactly what you suggested. Once you became eligible, you signed up to receive the vaccine. And subsequently, when your name came up in the queue, you were contacted with an appointment. Consumer complaints were silenced.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But then, they finally released a site that did exactly what you suggested. Once you became eligible, you signed up to receive the vaccine. And subsequently, when your name came up in the queue, you were contacted with an appointment. Consumer complaints were silenced.
I guess it's time to contact my state senator again. But I think it's too late; it's not like it was rocket science.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Officials are saying that there's sufficient supply of Moderna and Pfizer vaccines that any lack of J&J won't affect the goals they've set.
Who gives a rat's ass about some bureaucrat's arbitrary goals?

Less vaccine options = more cases. It's as simple as that.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Exactly, Goals Set != Goals Met.

There was already a production shortage with J&J causing delays so a few day medical pause won't actually make much difference in the short run.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015

J&J accounts for less than 7 million of the 191 million doses the US has administered. Even if J&J hadn't gotten emergency approval, we would have been in pretty good shape. Officials have stated that they have sufficient availability of Moderna and Pfizer to meet their goals. And, unlike the previous administration, the current one is following the science and telling the truth.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The J&J decision to continue IMO in a few days will be a value judgment because the science is already clear that the benefits far outweigh the risks for most people.

1 in a million for a possibly fatal blood clot from the vaccine
125 in every million for a death from Covid in the 18 to 48 age group.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
1 in a million for a possibly fatal blood clot from the vaccine
125 in every million for a death from Covid in the 18 to 48 age group.
Actually it's more like 1 in 7 million unless the woman in critical condition dies. At least the government has committed to paying for treatment of any side effects.

If J&J was the only option, I'd gladly take those odds. With Moderna and Pfizer having significantly lower risks, I'd opt for either of those if I had a choice.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Actually it's more like 1 in 7 million unless the woman in critical condition dies. At least the government has committed to paying for treatment of any side effects.
The number is cases is 6. There have been 7+ million doses given. That’s about 1 in a million cases (for the math people and engineers, it’s a little more than 0.85 in a million).

If you’re talking about deaths, there has been one, and then I agree with you.

But once you develop blood clots, then you do have a 16.6% chance of death.

Note that the cases involve women. Comparatively, birth control pills have a 0.05% to 0.15% possibility of developing blood clots compared to 0.0001% chance with the J&J vaccine.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

If J&J was the only option, I'd gladly take those odds. With Moderna and Pfizer having significantly lower risks, I'd opt for either of those if I had a choice.
It's more about human physiology and the calculation of risk in the rush to get full population vaccination. Even if the vaccine is on the shelf we need people willing and able to take it.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Even if the vaccine is on the shelf we need people willing and able to take it.
My Daughter was able to get vaccinated months earlier than the guidelines dictated. A significant percentage of the sworn officers at her employer declined to be vaccinated, so they went down the eligibility list with the doses they were given.

It was still too late for her because she had already contracted COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.