just found out abt Audioguru

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That HV, CRT; knocked me off a stool in the 70s.

Back then, it didn't hurt as bad to get up off the floor.:D
What fun right? These youngsters today miss out on so much. :)

Those were the days. When you could actually repair equipment without having a microscope and several thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

If I had a $1 for every time I changed the tuner on my aunt's TV, I would be a very rich man. :) I used to wonder how someone could go through so many tuners until I watched her change a channel. :eek:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I started out in Radio/TV servicing, in fact, that was my major at the Vocational Technical High School I attended. My junior and senior years in HS, I worked the evenings at a local 1 kW radio station till 1 AM weeknights. I engineered two talk shows and did PMs while the show was in progress.

After graduation, I went into the service where I worked on high power Loran transmitters, from those that were designed in the 40s through the 70s. It was interesting to keep everything operational so the system was 99.999% usable. In case your interested, that equates to no more than twenty-six minutes unusable in six months.
Had the chance to use Loran at sea for a brief period. A receiver used on board, impossible to repair in a short period, came home and still have some parts of it! :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Had the chance to use Loran at sea for a brief period. A receiver used on board, impossible to repair in a short period, came home and still have some parts of it! :)
A loran receiver was the first electronic navigation device that I purchased. It was a "handheld". Not a real good design for a sailboat. It had one of those collapsible antennas that you might find on a commercial broadcast FM receiver. That snapped off in short order. :) It was a pain transferring the coordinates to the chart. My handheld chart plotter so so much nicer. :)

I still have the loran receiver up in my closet. Thanks Joe if you ever maintained the transmitters on the Chesapeake. The Navy used to have a huge array there outside of Annapolis. I heard it used to have something to do with communications to subs.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My units over 22 years include the training center (LORAN SCHOOL), Attu Island AK, Sellia Marina Italy, Nantucket Island MA, Boise City OK, and the Staff at COMLANT AREA...

Nantucket certainly covered the Chesapeake bay as 9960X.

Yes, the LF transmitter groundwave propagated well over the surface which made it suitable for comms... look up GWEN....

on edit ...

you can find out more about the loran transmitting equipment as well as some of the units and those that served on them at www.loran-history.info

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Ok I was reading a post and saw audioguru BANNED :eek:

I like to know when this did happened and if tht mod mind telling me the reason. He was a good poster u know.
I reported AG postings several times. He had a habit of writing "unseemly " comments to posters coming from the wrong part of earth(in his eye). And also a tendency to bully young members asking for help. His bad habits particular the first one mentioned. Was something I noticed then I first come to this forum. It was of course a loss for the forum to loose AG vast knowledge. But his personality got him self expelled from this forum.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
My units over 22 years include the training center (LORAN SCHOOL), Attu Island AK, Sellia Marina Italy, Nantucket Island MA, Boise City OK, and the Staff at COMLANT AREA...

Nantucket certainly covered the Chesapeake bay as 9960X.

Yes, the LF transmitter groundwave propagated well over the surface which made it suitable for comms... look up GWEN....
I even recall an article, maybe in Radioelectronics or ...., not sure of the actual name, including a practical (?) circuit, proposing to use of the emission as a frequency standard to calibrate instruments.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Loosewire ... some towers were blown down ... there are youtube videos out there.

Augustin, you can synchronize your standard using loran. Each master station was plus or minus 2.5 microseconds from utc and the daily offset was published by USNO.

I initially synchronized 9610 to UTC by comparing 1pps from our cesium oscillators to the synchronized 1pps from a receiver locked onto 8970M. I calculated the propagation delay between us and issued a 26000 plus microsecond time step. 90 days later, we measured it and we were 900 nanosecondsoff. I forgot to adjust the phase microstepper to reduce to 10 nanosecond per day oscillator offset.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I initially synchronized 9610 to UTC by comparing 1pps from our cesium oscillators to the synchronized 1pps from a receiver locked onto 8970M. I calculated the propagation delay between us and issued a 26000 plus microsecond time step. 90 days later, we measured it and we were 900 nanosecondsoff. I forgot to adjust the phase microstepper to reduce to 10 nanosecond per day oscillator offset.
Oh man, high level technology, isn't it?

Where to read about the hardare you had to deal with?

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
That HV, CRT; knocked me off a stool in the 70s.

Back then, it didn't hurt as bad to get up off the floor.:D
Oh well, I still deal with EHT everyday of my life. Little old 27KV.

Likes to find ground/earth through you if you do something stupid..

Never been nailed by EHT ever. Been belted by tubes that were not properly discharged...no problem. I have always followed the rules to the letter..

I watch with interest comments about those that worked with it over the Years.

Not arguing....just saying I both love and respect EHT. No nasty surprises.

Going on for around 20 Years with this and have never found myself sitting on the floor wondering what happened.

If EHT is leaking....you can smell it. Almost like an Ozone smell. But that is not all. Sixth sense required where you know things are not right...

Regards,
tvtech