its versus it's (Ignore this post if you don't care about grammar.)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well the correct sign would read simply "Authorised vehicles only", but that would be a stumbing block for stupid people...

"Hey, I'm an author... I can drive that way!" :D

By putting the word "Emergency" first, even the stupidest of people understand the basic concept. After that they are kind of forced into adding "and authorised" to allow roadworks and maintenance vehicles etc.
Interestingly, in the last few years I have been seeing signes going up that just say, "Authoirzed vehicles only." I have no idea if it is because someone pointed out the redundancy or not. Probably not. But someone might have charged the state $50,000 to do a study that concluded that they could save $50/yr in paint by making the change.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
This is the most common grammatical error I see in postings, yet correct usage is very simple. If you mean "it is", then "it's" is what you use; otherwise, there's no apostrophe in its.

For the most perspicacious among you, I am aware that there is one exception to this rule, but it is so rare that it's not worth mentioning.

For those of you who couldn't care less, just ignore this post.

Thanks.
These are the apostophe rules as I've understood them.

http://m.grammarbook.com/punctuation-rules/apostrophes.aspx

Generally, it's is a contraction or possessive pronoun and its is an adjective.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Okay, I see that in rule #10 of my reference but it's strange. In the sentence "The plane was in its hangar, ready for its first flight." the same spelling is used for the pronoun and the adjective.