It's that Season Again !!!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am starting to see DC to AC Inverter topics all over again. o_O
Is it the Indian students project time or "ON Season". :D
I noticed something additional...."H Bridges" :p

I will try to keep this thread alive till next Season .. :rolleyes:
But I do see some making progress though.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Might as well have everyone that comes here for inverter help look at these links first and save them and everyone else the trouble of wasting time and money on half assed junk designs ( 555 IC based or worse) that will never work properly or efficiently.

Sinewave PWM driver board. $4 - $6 with free shipping to most places.
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-spwm-driver-board.html

The manual so they know how to build a working unit around it.
http://www.egmicro.com/download/EGS002_manual_en.pdf

Reference videos on what they can do for those who don't read or follow technical english very well.

Not so advanced but with strong indian accent commentary.

More Advanced design with proper english commentary.

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Might as well have everyone that comes here for inverter help look at these links first and save them and everyone else the trouble of wasting time and money on half assed junk designs ( 555 IC based or worse) that will never work properly or efficiently.

Sinewave PWM driver board. $4 - $6 with free shipping to most places.
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-spwm-driver-board.html

The manual so they know how to build a working unit around it.
http://www.egmicro.com/download/EGS002_manual_en.pdf

Reference videos on what they can do for those who don't read or follow technical english very well.

Not so advanced but with strong indian accent commentary.

More Advanced design with proper english commentary.

Yebut maybe the idea is to actually design/construct a unit for themselves --as opposed to-- merely assemble pre-designed/fabricated 'building blocks'? -- 'Newbie' doesn't necessarily equal lazy or stupid --- Merely a thought;)

HP:)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yebut maybe the idea is to actually design/construct a unit for themselves --as opposed to-- merely assemble pre-designed/fabricated 'building blocks'? -- 'Newbie' doesn't necessarily equal lazy or stupid --- Merely a thought;)

Isn't making one for yourself pretty much just assembling pre made major components into a working device? :confused:

Is there a difference between using a few IC's and putting them on a circuit board yourself Vs using a whole premade and populated circuit board assembly? Especially when the pre built board that actually will work can be had fro less cost than what it's components that it's made up of will cost you if purchased individually?

When you make something complex do you build it with more expensive individual discrete transistors, resistors and what not or do you use cheap IC's? o_O

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
When you make something complex do you build it with more expensive individual discrete transistors, resistors and what not or do you use cheap IC's? o_O
If I'm studying engineering, developing concepts or merely desirous of maximal versatility I use discretes and generic ICs (including, where applicable, uCs programed with my code):)

IMO Fabrication with special purpose ICs/modules isn't design - but, rather, 'appliance use':rolleyes:

Please! Let us not extract creativity and, indeed, thought from education...

Best regards

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Please! Let us not extract creativity and, indeed, thought from education...
I'm not. I'm just pointing the realistic need for doing a rational analysis of what it is someone wants to achieve and what is the most effectively get there with what they have access to.

From what I have seen of 'help me build a power inverter' threads over the years very few are doing it as a DIY fundamentals learning experience but rather as a basic tool of daily life necessity because they don't have the resources and standards of life most of us take for granted. Rather they need something that can be made as cheap and reliable as possible with least amount of work and general outlay on there end. :(

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
From what I have seen of 'help me build a power inverter' threads over the years very few are doing it as a DIY fundamentals learning experience but rather as a basic tool of daily life necessity
In which case I would assume an 'off the shelf' consumer grade 'inverter' would be the most practical/economic 'route'?:confused:

But to your larger point - perhaps we're at cross purposes? I am assuming the majority of inquiries are by prospective engineers whereas you are, perhaps, assuming technicians?

Very best regards

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are students that wish to learn the processes by which circuits are designed. There are people who think they can do it cheaper or better than a pre-fabricated end product (wrong). There are people who can't access anything better than component level availability. There are people who only want the end product, but don't know the best way to get there. (And I probably missed a few motivations.)

Each requires a different answer. Sorting them is part of what we do here.

There are people who can't access anything better than component level availability.
I'll take your word for it (seriously:)) -- Tho I must confess to no small difficulty envisioning a market wherein components are available while complete products are not:confused:

'round here just the opposite is the case - @Aleph(0) , for instance, purchased over one-hundred new induction hobs (for the high-Q RF Caps contained therein) at a savings of near 50% over the capacitor's new component price alone...

Best regards

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
(wrong). There are people who can't access anything better than component level availability. There are people who only want the end product, but don't know the best way to get there. (And I probably missed a few motivations.)

Each requires a different answer. Sorting them is part of what we do here.
That's largely what I have come to see with many of the threads from people who live in 3rd world and less developed locations. Most are not doing these builds as a academic research and learning endeavor but as a only resort to get AC power for whatever they need it for from whatever low voltage power source they have and with what limited resources they have even if said resources are little more than scrounged parts from various electronics devices they managed to rescue from the trash.

The SPWM boards I referenced are a huge time and resources saver given what they can do for so little cost. Just add some properly sized switching devices and a transformer that has anywhere close the right turns ratios and you can have a functional and efficient sine wave power inverter for next to nothing.

Sure, if you're studying to get a electronics engineering degree they're nearly pointless for learning from but if you're dumpster diving for whatever you can get your hands on those boards along with a junk UPS unit or old battery chargers or two and you have half a chance at having a fully functional dirt cheap DIY power inverter.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Aleph(0) , for instance, purchased over one-hundred new induction hobs (for the high-Q RF Caps contained therein) at a savings of near 50% over the capacitor's new component price alone...
That's right except it was exactly 100:cool:! I got $80k worth of Caps for just $42k! Plus lots of other nice stuff like litz cable and IGBTS and like that:cool:! So being totally honest the hobs were heavily discounted at $420 each still it was quantity discount which beat the Cap qty discount by over 50% counting just the caps:)!