It's Christmas Time!

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The radio is a Murphy A26 made about 1934, which I passed on to a collector earlier this year as part of a de-cluttering exercise. There was not very much wrong with it, although an exercise of replacing numerous capacitors would have been required to make it reasonably reliable, and I lacked the motivation to do this.

The collector was happy with his new toy, and had it going within a week or so. I feel bad about not getting around to it myself, but at least it did not go to landfill. Unfortunately, with the projected end of analogue broadcasting, there may soon be nothing left for these vintage radios to receive.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/murphy_a26_a26.html

http://doctsf.com/documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/MURPHY/A26.PDF

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
The radio is a Murphy A26 made about 1934, which I passed on to a collector earlier this year as part of a de-cluttering exercise. There was not very much wrong with it, although an exercise of replacing numerous capacitors would have been required to make it reasonably reliable, and I lacked the motivation to do this.

The collector was happy with his new toy, and had it going within a week or so. I feel bad about not getting around to it myself, but at least it did not go to landfill. Unfortunately, with the projected end of analogue broadcasting, there may soon be nothing left for these vintage radios to receive.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/murphy_a26_a26.html

http://doctsf.com/documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/MURPHY/A26.PDF
Oh, I'm sure you will be able to buy/build something to receive the signal and rebroadcast in AM

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
It would be possible, but there are legal issues with it. In addition, the RF spectrum currently used for analogue radio won't just go quiet. It will be reallocated, probably for various digital services which will be interference as far as old radio sets are concerned. The real issue as far as I am concerned though is that the radio would not really be performing its original function, only imitating it.

This is one of a number of bits of older technology whose passing I feel we (or rather, you younger folks) will just have to accept in the years to come. Analogue television is rapidly on the way out, as is the cathode ray tube. Photographic film technology is retreating to a few niche applications: although there are a few things digital imaging is less suitable for, the technology is rapidly maturing.
Similarly, the tungsten light bulb is fast disappearing: some types are actually prohibited from sale in this country on grounds of energy consumption. No sooner have we got used to CFL's, than they may in turn be replaced by LEDs.

Near the end of my own time, I can understand the nostalgia that an older generation felt for things like steam engines, but in the end I don't think we should make too much of it, or try to hold on to the past. The radio collector who got my old set has a flat screen TV set in his living room.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sorry to change the subject, but wasn't there a Santa hat on the 'C' in "Circuits" at the top of the page last night? Where did it go?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Sorry to change the subject, but wasn't there a Santa hat on the 'C' in "Circuits" at the top of the page last night? Where did it go?
You are not changing the subject at all. You are getting back on topic a thread which some old buffer was trying to hijack into a maudlin discussion of the passing of the technology of his younger days.

Having said that, my view of the title still has a hat. I'll try clearing out my cache and then take another look.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
It would be possible, but there are legal issues with it. In addition, the RF spectrum currently used for analogue radio won't just go quiet. It will be reallocated, probably for various digital services which will be interference as far as old radio sets are concerned. The real issue as far as I am concerned though is that the radio would not really be performing its original function, only imitating it.

This is one of a number of bits of older technology whose passing I feel we (or rather, you younger folks) will just have to accept in the years to come. Analogue television is rapidly on the way out, as is the cathode ray tube. Photographic film technology is retreating to a few niche applications: although there are a few things digital imaging is less suitable for, the technology is rapidly maturing.
Similarly, the tungsten light bulb is fast disappearing: some types are actually prohibited from sale in this country on grounds of energy consumption. No sooner have we got used to CFL's, than they may in turn be replaced by LEDs.

Near the end of my own time, I can understand the nostalgia that an older generation felt for things like steam engines, but in the end I don't think we should make too much of it, or try to hold on to the past. The radio collector who got my old set has a flat screen TV set in his living room.
I agree.
It's kinda sad that old things like that are dying out, but I value progress much more than nostalgia.

I like tubes because they're cool, but film I'm glad to see go.
It's nothing but a pain.

Try control + f5

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Its cold,this year a bit less (11 to 10 degree C) till now but I think on 25th it will be more,I am a bit lazy on winter (of course not from 25th to 1st )....what about you people?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
It's dropped to 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) here in Vermont, and the temps are still dropping. At least we don't have much snow :)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
we gots plenty of snow here in indiana
off and on of course, so it's a constant state of slush
lowest so far this winter is about 10F (-somethin C)
Wait till january, it gets to the -25F easy here, probably much lower in vermont

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
International Falls Minnesota is the one place that has historic lows. Nearby Baudette had windchills in the minus 50s f. Quoting someone who was there at the time ... "minus 50 is hard on the eyes Chief."