Is this possible? Mouse cursor follow object?

Rookie_2021

Joined Jun 26, 2021
Good evening,

I dont even know if this is possible but thought this was a good place to start. I want to have my computer cursor follow a reflective sensor, distance from camera to object will be about 4 feet high and cover roughly 8 sq ft. No click needed,

Camera would be stationary, the sensor (moved by foot) should move the cursor on screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Rookie_2021

Joined Jun 26, 2021
Although the pixy is very cool (and I ordered just to play around with it) I dont thinkniy will accomplish what I need.

I need to be able to mount the device a few feet from my surface that the object (reflector or otherwise) and then have it move a mouse cursor on my monitor.

Would be similar to hover my optical mouse over the table, only issue is that the object being tracked isn't always pointed the same direction

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Almost anything is possible. Tell us what you are trying to do then we can advise.
In other words, you need to give us the big picture.

What is the object?
What is on your PC screen?
What is the application?

Rookie_2021

Joined Jun 26, 2021
We want to do some basic "tool tracking"

We have a computer with custom software with an overlay of the product on it. the mouse cursor moves over the image indicating what areas of the project is complete. Currently we have a type of "foot pedal" for lack of a better word that moves the cursor over the screen as they go. It really is just a optical mouse with custom housing.

The issue being that the pedal can get turned or forgotten during the process.
i belive the co-op wrote the program in c#

Its a great system and has served us well, but mounting the camera above the project and tracking the tool itself would be ideal

Its a hard process to explain, sorry

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Let me see if I get this correct.

1) There is a picture of the product on the PC screen. What are the dimensions of the product?
2) Your foot moves around on the bare floor?
3) You have a sensor or camera that tracks the x-y position of the foot and the angle of rotation?
4) This information is used to position the cursor on the PC screen?

What is wrong with using a mouse or trackball?

Rookie_2021

Joined Jun 26, 2021
Wow, thanks for the quick replies Yes!

1.) Yes, sections of images color changes as the cursor passes over it, indicating that it is complete

2) The floor is finished/painted concrete, the foot pedal has uhmw under it allowing it to slide freely.
3-4 ) The process takes to hands, this system was developed to allow the operator to move the "mouse" under the table as he went to check off progress. The mouse only tracks x and y

Not rotation or angle, but the pedal does have to stay "facing north" as we tell the operator to work correctly.

The pixy 2 looked promising as we could place above the product (as opposed to under) and place the target on top of the tool.