Is there a way to transmit HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Externet, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Externet

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Hi.
    Transmitting wirelessly a HDMI source towards a nearby TV capable of receiving it on its built-in WiFi feature. Is there a gadget for doing this ?
    Anyone doing it ?

2. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
  3. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Thanks.
    That is not it. Those are 60GHz links other than WiFi. They use their receiver output to feed a TV HDMI input.

The point is instead, entering the TV on its built-in WiFi feature. (And no routers/computers/internet involved.)

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    No

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You can get HD content into a smart TV by way of its WiFi connection, but that’s not HDMI. So I’m not sure what you’re asking. You can turn a dumb monitor into a smart one with a box such as an AppleTV which connects by HDMI.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You want to CONVERT an HDMI source like the one coming out of your cable box to a streaming video as WIFI so a TV in a different room can watch what is coming out of your cable box?

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    GopherT likes this.
  8. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Yes, but not a cable box, a TV receiver HDMI output.

The Slingbox... may be... Will study what it does. Thank you.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Read this - HDMI is a copyright protected / encrypted transfer protocol. Any device with an HDMI input must be approved by license (Intel). They will not allow a device that converts protected video to s freely copied video stream like wifi.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/a-box-with-hdmi-input-and-wifi-out-587498/

strantor likes this.
  10. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    OK. Whoever manufactures such a gadget has to pay Intel the rights/license registration. Which would be passed to me as final user.
    And the HDMI video signal would not need to be stripped of its protection.

Seems converting HDMI to WiFi is not handled the same as converting HDMI to 60GHz RF as in those HDMI links available in the market.

Every TV made with a HDMI inlet feeds Intel. Good to know.
    These gadgets pay too ----> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VOX...lgo_pvid=1716fe6a-a5eb-4865-b862-0d2f6a35b188

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

It is not that they pay Intel, it is Intel's deal with the Hollywood Moviemakers and Sports Leagues to minimize rebroadcast.

The HDMI extenders are two-way (1:1) devices. They can not be used to decrypt and rebroadcast 1-to-many as it would be if any device converts HDMI to a wifi-streamable format.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    WiFi cannot handle the bandwidth to meet HDMI standards, nor can the WiFi built into a TV handle the HDCP (hi-def content protection) required to comply with HDMI. So I think you're out of luck with any legal device.

In theory I think a wifi port could be made to comply with HDCP and then you'd have only the bandwidth limitations which might not be too bad.

Are you familiar with Sony's DLNA? It might get you closer to what you want.

13. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    My Amazon Fire Stick converts my WiFi signal to an HDMI input for my TV on which I receive a good quality HD signal from Amazon Prime and Netflix, so it's certainly possible to transmit an HD signal using WiFi and generate an HDMI compatible signal.

14. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Most TV's only have HDMI inputs.
    Are you sure yours has an HDMI output?

15. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Speaking of HDMI issues I have an apparently common problem with my main laptop and its HDMI output. No audio and no way to fix it. .

I want to feed that output to my big screen for movie watching since the Vizio smart TV's rather suck at playing movies off of their USB inputs largely due to their very limited video format compatibility for this model. E551 TV and a Toshiba P75 laptop with the Intel 4600 graphics card which does have HDMI audio capability but the software will not make it work.

I can't run the TV in any HDMI input and still use its analog audio input at the same time yet the laptop won't put the audio on the HDMI either. :mad:

16. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

That is why god invented $50 Google ChromeCast and Amazon FireStick.

17. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There was a period in time when laptops were sold with HDMI ports strictly for video and these were not capable of passing audio. That’s criminal fraud as far as I’m concerned. If you have one like that there truly is nothing you can do. If you’re lucky and avoided that, the solution could “just” be software. It’s hard to sort out where the gap is, whether it’s the player software or the OS. Have you tried Plex or VLC?

18. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Hi crutschow. It is a TV receiver.
    Yes : ----> http://www.x2sat.com/v01--v1hd.html

Its HDMI output port is wired to my TV HDMI input port. Would like to feed wirelessly instead, able to feed another television in the house that is WiFi reception capable.
    You will see in the link "Main features" ---> "■ Support USB WiFi". Which is chinese false. WiFi being bi-directional, this receiver only receives IPTV programming on WiFi also from a router by using this adapter ----> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/182449382096-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Currently, the 'other' television receives 'internet television IPTV' via built-in WiFi sent from an internet router.

The desired link would be like
    TVreceiverHDMIout ----> WiFiovertheair ----> TVwithbuiltinWiFi

Unsure if inserting this animal would work ----> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511S4GAu2lL.jpg

In order to make it
    TVreceiverHDMIout ----> HDMItoUSBadapter ---> USBtoWiFiantenna ---> WiFiovertheair ---> TVwithWiFibuilt-in :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tcmtech: If your laptop is including audio in to its HDMI outlet, (check specifications),
    evaluate this ----> http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Converters_257/HDMI-Audio-Extractor_1390

19. Janis59

Aug 21, 2017
    Seems this year most sold product is WiFi to HDMI converter box for less than dozen bucks named Google Chromecast like those in www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Chromecast-Digital-HD-Media-Streamer-2-Latest-Model-New-Retail-Box-/192304699683?hash=item2cc640d923:g:8YgAAOSwILFZt9uO
    One end of this button-like object must be switched in TV hdmi port, at USB must be fixed the 5V feed, signal stream must be in WiFi and voila, Your TV see anything what is on PC screen, in hdmi quality. Then Netflix rullzzzz!

20. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Wrong. This thread is about the reverse ! HDMI --> to --> WiFi.