Is that okay to bias a transistor like this?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by asdf arfw, Nov 19, 2017.

1. asdf arfw

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2017
    http://tinyurl.com/ybvwgmnw
    Should I put some resistors between +5v and Vc? I just want to amplify currents to let LED works because I don't know the value of resistor between +5v and Vb if it's too high the LED won't work at all so I put the transistor to make sure it still work in that case.

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    The LED only needs a resistor and a voltage source. The transistor only adds un-needed components. Trust me.

3. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    Image in question (edited):
    upload_2017-11-19_9-3-13.png

If this is homework, what is the purpose of the problem?

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Depends on what you are trying to do.
    If you want the LED to just stay on, use a resistor and LED alone. Omit the transistor as Dick says.

5. asdf arfw

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2017
    http://tinyurl.com/y7pkf7gd
    Okay, I should give you more information about my school project.
    I actually designed my own measurement water level and the problem is the water isn't a good conductor at all and its conductivity isn't constant depends on where I took the water from. So when I put it in the water my LED won't work at all. I decide to use transistors to amplify currents to make sure it still works when the conductivity of water is too low. I want to know is that okay to bias a transistor like I posted on the top because
    the current from Emitter is the highest and I want to use it for my LED but I never saw someone bias a transistor like that before.

6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Yes, not a problem.

7. asdf arfw

Thread Starter Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Appriciate, thanks a lot!