Is plastic 101% insulator ? (wall adapter for LEDs)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If there was a piece of foam in there it is necessary. If manufacturers could have left out the foam, they would have done.

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
How the title is related to the question? Plastic 101% insulator? First plastic is not an absolute insulator, probably 10^14 ohm/square, surface resistivity, depending of the plastic-PVC/PE/PP etc.

Nothing is an absolute insulator.

Probably you want to know if the foam is an insulator I suppose?

For everyday electronics, you can assume plastic or the foam is an excellent insulator.

Also take into account that there are dissipative foams (pink), but I do not think in your case the foam is dissipative (10^9 ohm/square)

Doros

Joined Dec 17, 2013
The foam was there for a reason. If you cannot find out the reason, you shouldn't omit it

That is my advise anyway

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
hi there.

i have resolder some joints on my adapter.

When i opened it there was a foam formed as little rectangle and now i want to close the adapter without that part.

thanks in advance
Most often they put foam in those things to keep the inner parts in place when they don't have a presion snap in place fit of other method of securing the inner components to the case. I've found many built that way simply due to it being the fastest and cheapest way to to assemble them with the least number of non custom or specific made parts.

If you can assemble it without the foam and the circuit board rattles around it would be wise to put it back inor use some other method of securing the circuit board in place with silicone or some other non conductive adhesive.

As for safety, obviously if you fixed the loose solder concessions it's now operating far safer than it was before! ;)