Is it possible to rewire a 240v steamer 3 phases to a 240v steamer 2 phases?

CortoMaltese

Joined Sep 21, 2017
Hi all,
I have a steamer unit that came in as 240v 3 phases that I am trying to adapt to a 2 phase household. The unit needs 60 amp and generate 9kw.

As per the manufacturer, and the attached diagrams, I need to switch the wires from figure 12 to figure 11.

I am trying to have a confirmation from people more expert than me if this actually makes sense.

Thank you.

Corto

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is this the conversion to 240v 1ph supplied by the manuf?
It appears to be a 3ph delta connection to some other configuration for 1ph that is a litlle hard to follow/trace.
(N.A. 240v is single phase).
Max.

Last edited:

CortoMaltese

Joined Sep 21, 2017
Figure 12 240v 3 phases is what I have right now. I need to adjust the unit to make it work on a regular household power system.
This is all I know! I have the two diagrams and the manufacturer (in Cina) is telling me that if I reconfigure the circuits as per the figure 11 (2 phases 240v) it should work.
I think 1-2 phases are (GENERICALLY, I understand) the same thing.
Bottom line, I need to make it work on a regular household that has 2 main power cables coming the system panel, and not 3.
I appreciate any help and simple explanations!
Best to all.
C.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the capacity of your service panel?
Is it possible to get the drawing in schematic form from the manuf, rather than a physical layout? It would be much easier to see what the difference in configuration is they recommend.
Max..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the significance of the circles in the wiring?
It is difficult to make a distinction between the conductors in the bundle!
Are the originals larger?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
OK, it looks as though they are using the 3phase contactors to switch each of the L1 - L2 conductors to switch either side of the elements, essentially placing each of the elements across the 240vac.
Max.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Yes, it's clearly possible to operate the elements and controls on single phase power. You will obviously increase the load on your single phase, and the capacity of your existing wiring to carry that load is questionable. It should not be difficult to correct that situation.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you wire it as shown, each element is wired individually and the 3ph contactor feed is paralleled, so same guage inside the unit should be OK.
The wire gauge to feed the panel should be the equivalent to the three.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One thing I just realized you will not get the sequence switching that you have on 3ph version.
It is customary to bring large loads on line in sequence to reduce power up current.
The way I see it done on 1ph you will not have this feature.
Something to be aware of.
Max.

CortoMaltese

Joined Sep 21, 2017
One thing I just realized you will not get the sequence switching that you have on 3ph version.
It is customary to bring large loads on line in sequence to reduce power up current.
The way I see it done on 1ph you will not have this feature.
Something to be aware of.
Max.
Thank you.
are you saying this because in the 3 phase each side consist of two heating elements connected in parallel (240 volts across each) vs all elements wired in parallel across the 240 volt (phase to phase) line?
Best,
C

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
OK After another scrutiny, after coffee! It turns out that they do show a sequenced bank1 and bank 2, but this means that one side is live all the time, which is a bit of a no-no, so technically you Should have another pair of contactors installed in order to switch Both L1 and L2 for each bank, rather than L2 staying live.
But this will work.
In 3ph mode, each bank was totally switched by each contactor.
Max.