Is it POSSIBLE to rewire a 180 vdc motor to a 36v , 48 v, or a 60?

Caus-i-can

Joined Jul 19, 2017
Hi All,

so i have been trying to find information on wether it is possible to rewire a 180 vdc motor to a 36v , 48 v, or a 60..

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Of course it is possible. But whether you could do it depends on whether you have resources, skills and knowledge to do it. How many motors have you rewound up until now?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Depending on the way the motor is built, it may be possible but it will not be cost effective. For starters there is the power concern, which means that for a given horsepower out there is a specific amount of electrical power in. At 60 volts, to have the same input power will need three times the current must flow in the drive winding. That means that the wire must be 3 times the cross sectional area.That may be very difficult to wind. Worse yet, if it is a brush type motor it means the brushes must carry 3 times the current. That may lead to a very rapid failure. So I do not recommend even trying.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
"Anything is possible. But some things are highly unlikely."
For the motor rewind it is more towards, "probably, but possibly not worth the effort". I have several DC motors that will run on voltages far below the nameplate rating. A 120 volt vacuum cleaner blower that runs on 12 volts DC, and also a shredder motor that delivers a whole lot of torque on 12 volts DC. So you should check and see what your 180 volt motor will do.
AND please let us know what the intended use of the rewound motor would be. There may be additoonal possible ways to do it without rewinding.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Although this is for Fisher and Paykel Smart Drive motor, a similar method may work for you, it access to the wires of the stator is possible.
But the armature is another thing.
http://www.rippleephex.com.au/energy2.html
This video from a commercial rewinder shows the steps pretty well.
You may be able to do it yourself, but I would not have the patience to try.

If you did manage to rewind the motor, then the current consumed would increase, meaning the rest of the motor such as the brushes etc would need upgrading also.

How about using an alternator from a car or truck? You can buy controllers which convert the DC to 3 phase AC with built in speed controllers. Would be more powerful and efficient.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I don't think that we know if the motor is a brush type DC motor or if it is a brushless multi-phase motor. There is a very big difference. And I am presuming that it has a permanent magnet field, no matter which type it may be. A brush type PM motor will probably run on 12 volts, but not very fast, and so if the "buggy" is for an infant that may possibly be about right. 36 volts would produce a considerably higher speed and might be the top end of the speeds that you would use. And it might even be possible to build an inverter to drive the motor, but the efficiency would be less. So now if you have the motor in hand and have access to a 12 volt battery, such as one in a car, you could do a quick check and see what happens. But if it is the brushless type then you would need a driver circuit, which adds a lot of complexity.