Is it possible to integrate Wi-Fi on a flash drive?

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
I'm working on a topic for a project and my idea is to make a flash drive with Wi-Fi that you can access the files through the internet without plugging it into your phone or computer. But I'm not sure if its possible since I cannot seem to find any related literature about this on the internet. If there is an existing product that works just like this please let me know. Thank you in advance :>

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello,

There are flashcards with build-in wifi:
wifi flashcard
The card will need power to work.

Bertus
Those a wifi SD cards are SD in terms of communication with the physically connected host device but I don't think they have any storage - they just dump files to a wifi connected server device. They are intended to connect cameras without connectivity to wifi storage device. The SD port is the only expansion slot on most cameras. This device seems to be the opposite of what the OP was trying to do.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I'm working on a topic for a project and my idea is to make a flash drive with Wi-Fi that you can access the files through the internet without plugging it into your phone or computer. But I'm not sure if its possible since I cannot seem to find any related literature about this on the internet. If there is an existing product that works just like this please let me know. Thank you in advance :>
If you don't mind plugging it into a power socket, you can get something like the DLink DIR-505 that does the job. Of course, the one I have is more that 10 years old, there will be better ones.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Thank you all for your replies, I'll try to look for more info about this:>
I think i saw something like this in the past, but i cant be sure now.

Anyway, if you can construct one with wifi or bluetooth that would be pretty cool, and make it low power so you can include a button cell battery to get it to transmit and receive. Alternately, have it rechargeable via a USB port or USB wall wart.

I think one of the main design problems will be speed vs power consumption. The speed has to be reasonable, but power consumption goes up with speed in every device and this will play with the internal battery sizing. If the total package was a bit larger though that might be acceptable too as some of the external SSD's are a bit larger than we'd like to see but they are still reasonable because of the massive storage space they provide over USB 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2.

I wish you lots of luck and get back here if you get one going would be interesting to get one.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Sandisk has made one for years. I own an older model than this which is slightly larger.

1648806219028.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi there,

I gave your reply one Like but only because you cant give more than one Like to a single reply :)

Can i ask, what powers the device?
It uses a LiPo which is recharged by USB. The battery life seems OK, though I haven't used it without plugging it in for extended times. It uses a MicroSD card for storage which is handy.

It works, but the main use I had for it was accessing files with my iPhone. Now things have changed and that function has been overtaken by events.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It uses a LiPo which is recharged by USB. The battery life seems OK, though I haven't used it without plugging it in for extended times. It uses a MicroSD card for storage which is handy.

It works, but the main use I had for it was accessing files with my iPhone. Now things have changed and that function has been overtaken by events.
Hello again,

Oh ok thanks much. It's an interesting device that's for sure.
Right now i am forced to plug everything in when i do any sort of backup, small or large. That gets to be a pain after a while. If i could have a device in my pocket or better yet wallet, i would not have to take it out to back up, just tell the computer to store some files. That would be very handy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello again,

Oh ok thanks much. It's an interesting device that's for sure.
Right now i am forced to plug everything in when i do any sort of backup, small or large. That gets to be a pain after a while. If i could have a device in my pocket or better yet wallet, i would not have to take it out to back up, just tell the computer to store some files. That would be very handy.
Well, the newer model (assuming you can find one, I only searched to find a description, not a seller) is bound to be improved. It does work, though I don't know if it would serve your use case. At least it's not too big.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Well, the newer model (assuming you can find one, I only searched to find a description, not a seller) is bound to be improved. It does work, though I don't know if it would serve your use case. At least it's not too big.
Hello again,

Sounds good i dont know why i didnt look into this in the past too well. Maybe i can find something that will work for my uses.

Thanks a bunch :)

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
I think i saw something like this in the past, but i cant be sure now.

Anyway, if you can construct one with wifi or bluetooth that would be pretty cool, and make it low power so you can include a button cell battery to get it to transmit and receive. Alternately, have it rechargeable via a USB port or USB wall wart.

I think one of the main design problems will be speed vs power consumption. The speed has to be reasonable, but power consumption goes up with speed in every device and this will play with the internal battery sizing. If the total package was a bit larger though that might be acceptable too as some of the external SSD's are a bit larger than we'd like to see but they are still reasonable because of the massive storage space they provide over USB 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2.

I wish you lots of luck and get back here if you get one going would be interesting to get one.
Thanks a lot sir for giving your insights and idea:> I'll get back when I made progress :>