Is 6months enough time to learn programming?

koyex1

Joined May 1, 2015
I am new to programming and will really love to be very good at it this very minute. But from the look of things 6months is not enough to be an expert at it. Well a lecturer of mine told me to download mikroc pro for pic and mplab for microcontrollers and told me to read the users guide knowing fully well I am an amateur at programming. And I really what to learn programming so bad. Well since both of these compilers are restricted to only microcontrollers are they good mediums to learn programming?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do yoo want to learn programming or be expert I six months? The first is possible; the second is unlikely. Programming is actually many disciplines. You can start I learn with simple programs. Then, as you pick up more styles and algorithms, you can code more advanced programs. What systems do you want to learn? What languages? Start small

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To be good at programming, particularly to be anything resembling an "expert", involves a lot more than just knowing the syntax of a programming language or even knowing how to use all of the various library functions available. You have to be good at problem solving and that is an art that is largely orthogonal to programming (the same is true for most other fields, such as electronics).

To learn (or improve) your problem solving, spend a lot of time solving problems. Start with small ones and keep moving up working on problems that push your comfort zone really hard.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Of course you need to qualify the term expert, often a discipline is defined by a certain test of ability.
There are many levels of ability, and the expert level would have to be defined, somehow.
Max.

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Once I decided to do some downhill skiing, and of course, I was very clumsy doing this - I wasn't that young and had almost no experience. And these guys around me where flying. So I went to the Internet in hope to find out the secret to learn downhill skiing. And I found it. The article was entitled "Do you want to learn skiing just as well as these guys who ski 300 days every year"? The secret was surprisingly simple - go ski for 300 days every year. Now you can easily figure out how to learn programming just as well as those guys who have been programming every day for 30+ years.

Kenny

Joined Oct 11, 2004
You didn't say what is the area of programming that interest you more. I mean, programming microcontrollers is different than programming desktop or mobile or web applications.

I think if do you want everything, generally speaking, is better to begin with desktop application programming with some language like C#.

Even more, there is one thing that generallly nobody tells you: more important than begin to write code in whatever language is to begin with flowcharts and algorithms. Study those and then you can program on any language, because the more important thing on programming is not the specific syntax on some language but the logic behind it. And this logic behind is always the same on any language.