IR remote control

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
- Give me your best IR remote circuit that you can think of/know of, and that is working optimal at least 4meter distance.
My desire is to use 2 remotes with a IR led and a single receiver on the wall.
Can you help me on that?
This circuit I found on internet the other days:
1614798065545.png
I want to believe it will behave the best and in my parameters I want it.
If you have your own design, Im happy to see it. I kind of finding this circuit, that is a bit hard because of the double power supply I must insert, and I very much want to avoid that. And also at 5V, and not at 12V as this is offering. I also only have the uA741 opamp and not the same from the circuit but it will work fine, I imagine.
But if no alternatives works, then this will serve as the backup plan.
I never built such circuit in my life. I'm a rookie at it.
That's why I need your thoughts and experience if you build one in your life.
Or some advice on this one that I find. It's up to you.
Thank you !

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's great that you're using a modulated signal. That's the only practical way to get the distance you want.

I would not use that receiver circuit, though. There are purpose-built IR receiver modules that can handle the demodulation for you. One common 'problem' beginners find with these is that they do not hold on or off in response to a steady, modulated signal. They will produce a pulse when they see the signal but will not stay on. There are exceptions, I think.

Example detector. There are many more.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...s/GP1UM281QKVF/?qs=bgJ5QXnU1LT8%2BbSuBmSm2w==

If you want to continue with that circuit and avoid a dual supply, just choose a rail-to-rail op-amp or at least one that includes the ground rail. I think LM358 would work. I'd avoid the 741 unless you decide to use the dual supply and use more than a split of just 5V. A split supply with ±5V might be OK.

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I would not use that receiver circuit, though. There are purpose-built IR receiver modules that can handle the demodulation for you.
But that gets a lot more complicated if you want to control two motors as TS does.
With the original circuit, you could have a transmitter which can send two different frequencies and two receivers tuned to different frequencies.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
If you want to continue with that circuit and avoid a dual supply, just choose a rail-to-rail op-amp or at least one that includes the ground rail. I think LM358 would work.
I received multiple hints for using LM358 instead of uA471, in time and from diverse people. I think it is time to actually buy them. I am not that great working with opamps so I hesitated. I should have trusted those people from the beginning.
I like how you describe LM358 in this situation! Can you explain this part a bit more for me please: "just choose a rail-to-rail op-amp or at least one that includes the ground rail" ? I know already that LM358 has a rail to rail functionality. But I didn't know it had the 0V rail as well, which means it has 3 rails. I didn't know it's even a criteria to search for. Again, I am new to opamps and try to believe me, what I ask is very sincere.

Example detector. There are many more.
These are the IR leds and detectors I already have in stock. They are good or bad? The transparent ones are the IR leds and the black ones are the IR receivers. They are 3mm diameter and I believe, the leds are "super bright" technology.
1614820663257.png
Thank you for your answer.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can you explain this part a bit more for me please: "just choose a rail-to-rail op-amp or at least one that includes the ground rail" ? I know already that LM358 has a rail to rail functionality.
No, it’s called a single supply op-amp. That means it can sense (its common mode range) down to the negative rail. It cannot sense voltages within about 1.5V of the positive rail

A dual-supply opamp like the 741 cannot sense near to either rail. A rail-to-rail opamp can sense near to both power rails. They all are fed two power rails with a delta-V between those rails. You don’t really need a “dual” supply for any of them.
These are the IR leds and detectors I already have in stock. They are good or bad? The transparent ones are the IR leds and the black ones are the IR receivers. They are 3mm diameter and I believe, the leds are "super bright" technology.
They're fine but don’t have those built-in features I mentioned. They’re “naked” detectors. That may be helpful overall for your application but requires circuitry to take out the modulation frequency.