IR Photodiode test (Vishay BPV10NF)

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
I am a compete beginner with electronics, but have just got an Arduino for a project and need to test out some IR detection ideas. I already have my IR device working (verified using my phone's camera) but can't get my BPV10NF to respond. The emitter is a TSUS5202.

Can someone suggest a very simple circuit for this part. I just need a signal on A0 for the strength of IR detected.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Those schematics show some sort of amplifier is needed for the detector. Without knowing your level of technical expertise, it is impossible to give more advice as you have not given information about WHAT you want to do. How you want to do it comes second.

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
Those schematics show some sort of amplifier is needed for the detector. Without knowing your level of technical expertise, it is impossible to give more advice as you have not given information about WHAT you want to do. How you want to do it comes second.
Fair point. I want to design a timing gate for the sport of dog agility. This is going to be some sort of light curtain. We have a number of potential design ideas, but before we go too far, I want to test the basic physics to see which routes are worth going down. Step 1 is to setup a test ring with 1 IR light beam spanning between 1 and 2 m. This will be used to test things such as accuracy (at what point will a dog interfere with the beam), how susceptible are we to sunlight (we will probably modulate the signal to reduce this), how will rain effect the sensitivity, how tolerant the system is to alignment. Also I want to play around with different sensors and emitters to see what suits us best. There are lots more steps - but this is the starting point.

I have worked out how to do the IR emitter. Now I need the detector part. This will be 1-2m away and should 'trigger' when a dog (or simulated dog) crosses the beam. For now I need to use un-modulated devices, not ones designed for TV remotes.

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
Unfortunately this doesn't work for me. As I said it is the physics I need to test at this stage and a simple on / off is not going to be much help. Also TV remote chips will not work for some of the design options.

Any other ideas? I have an elegoo 'Most Complete' Starter Kit (Mega 2560 Project) that contains some PN2222 and S8050 transistors + lots of resistors, diodes, capacitors etc.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I am a compete beginner with electronics, but have just got an Arduino for a project and need to test out some IR detection ideas. I already have my IR device working (verified using my phone's camera) but can't get my BPV10NF to respond. The emitter is a TSUS5202.

Can someone suggest a very simple circuit for this part. I just need a signal on A0 for the strength of IR detected.
What On/Off VALUES did you expect to read on the A0 Input ?
What On/Off VALUES are you actually reading on the A0 Input ?
Post your Arduino Code.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I was using the one below but without the buzzer and emitter part. I also tried it with the emitter - just in case.

You stated that you have the Arduino Mega 2560
But the schematic you posted is for the Arduino UNO and then you stated "EXCEPT for the buzzer and the emitter" [portions].
So then, what is your schematic?
Post the exact schematic that have wired for the Detector
Where is that "GROUND" wire actually connected ?
Document the Polarity of the Detector on the schematic
What formula did you use to select that 3K ohm Resistor?
Initial testing should start with a small distance between the Emitter and the Detector

Last edited:

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
You stated that you have the Arduino Mega 2560
But the schematic you posted is for the Arduino UNO and then you stated "EXCEPT for the buzzer and the emitter" [portions].
So then, what is your schematic?
Post the exact schematic that have wired for the Detector
Where is that "GROUND" wire actually connected ?
Document the Polarity of the Detector on the schematic
What formula did you use to select that 3K ohm Resistor?
Initial testing should start with a small distance between the Emitter and the Detector
I also have an Uno,
Ground to ground pin on Uno,
Anode (long pin) to ground (reverse bias?)
3K taken from example - also tried 2K.
Tested between 5mm and 500mm

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
OK working now!

I tidied up my breadboard and used a more powerful emitter and am getting readings. Photo below (I did not have a 3K so used 1K + 2K). Sketch as follows:

const int MY_POWER_PIN = 2;
int MY_SENSOR_PIN = 0;
void setup()
{
pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
pinMode(MY_POWER_PIN, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);
digitalWrite(MY_POWER_PIN, HIGH);
Serial.begin(9600);
}
void loop()
{
int val = analogRead(MY_SENSOR_PIN);
Serial.println(val);
delay(50);
}

But - not very sensitive. Readings between 1023 (no signal) and 1000 however the range is only about 50mm and should be several metres.

How can I improve sensitivity?

Spec sheet is https://www.vishay.com/docs/81503/bpv10nf.pdf.

Transmitter is https://www.vishay.com/docs/82395/vsly3850.pdf.

I have no idea what most of the data means. Is this a design issue or am I using the wrong components?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
This circuit is used for a Corn Hole game with a detection range of up to 10 ft. un modulated. Tx uses
a lens, about 1.25 in. dia, 2 in FL & Rx a cone concentrator.BAG SENSOR 2 00000.jpg

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I also have an Uno,
Ground to ground pin on Uno,
Anode (long pin) to ground (reverse bias?)
3K taken from example - also tried 2K.
Tested between 5mm and 500mm
What EXAMPLE suggested using a 3K ohm Resistor ?
Doesn't 3K seem kinda of low?
Did you read the Data Sheet for the Detector?
What is the current flow when the Detector is fully ON?

Easy way ...
Did you try a 30K Resistor to see if that improves sensitivity by a factor of 10X ?
NOTE:
The Arduino expects a relatively low impedance, so a 30K resistor may be pushing the limit.
Is the response time OK ?

Harder way..
Increase the GAIN with an op-amp.

Last edited:

Mike Brickman

Joined Mar 12, 2019
You need an amplifier circuit to boost range.
Below is an example.
Only five components, should be easy to breadboard.
SG
View attachment 172516
That looks perfect - I will get the parts order up ASAP. Just to confirm:

D1 = Photodiode (BPV10NF)
C1 = 100 pf Capacitor (Ceramic?)
C2 = 0.1 uf capacitor (is this the same as 100pf ?)
R1 = 100K Resistor (got these already)
IC1A&B = MCP6002