Inverted ON/OFF button?

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Hi, I have a mouse that sometimes, when you turn on the computer and it's connected to the USB, it "starts" bugged, without responding. To solve that all you have to do is unplug it and plug it again.

This is no problem for a laptop, but it's a huge problem for a desktop that has all the cables hidden and not easily accessible.

So, I've thought that the best solution is to break the power cable of the USB and put there a momentary push switch, an ON/OFF button, your average 4 legs one. I need, nevertheless, an inverted button, that is on when you don't push the button and OFF when you push it.

I would open the mouse, find the power cable, break it, solder an inverted switch, drill a small hole in the mouse cover and glue it from inside. Whenever the problem happens, all you would do is push the button, the mouse would turn off as long as the button is pushed, and then it would "start" again, working.

The problem is I can't find/don't know how to search an inverted push button. I can use an ON/OFF slide switch, but it's way more easier to manipulate a push button.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Your solution seems not reasonable. First try to solve the eventual problem with the driver for that mouse, most probably supplied by the manufacturer.

Otherwise, buy a new mouse.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One solution would be a small mercury switch inside the mouse. Just turn it over to reset it. But a better option is to fix the problem. Move the mouse connection to a different USB connector, so that the mouse is seen sooner in the boot sequence.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Thank you Bertus, that's what I'm looking for, and the size totally fits the mouse.

Bill, the mercury switch is fantastic! I didn't know those switches, very clever. What a cool idea. Not for this project, but it's really interesting how you can think of a switch like that. Wordless, hahahaha. About the USB port, it's not the problem. It's the mouse, the closed firmware have this bug, sometimes, like once a day,you turn on the PC with the mouse connected and it will stay frozen, until you unplug it and plug it again.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If it is a firmware problem then remove that firmware and let windows go online and locate a fetter mouse driver program. OR add the mouse initialization to the startup list. A small mercury switch inside the mouse could certainly do what you seek.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Yes, it is a firmware issue, firmware from the mouse, not software, not PC related, it's the memory chip in the mouse what's faulty, I guess. The actual code of the mouse, not drivers from Windows or anything else. You can't remove the firmware from a mouse, it's closed, an embedded system. The problem with the mercury switch is that if you move rapidly the mouse or whatever, it can get disconnected a few times and it can get annoying. Much better the microswitch with 3 pins.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
No doubt you can do this including mouse surgery but a generic USB optical mouse runs about $5 USD. I see them by the bucket full in the checkout lines at my local Micro-Center. I also see them all over Amazon, pages of them. So I have to wonder why not just remove and replace the mouse? Pretty sure Windows XP and forward had generic mouse drivers and I can't recall having to install mouse drivers unless I go back to or before Windows 98 SE. Either way good luck with it.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No doubt you can do this including mouse surgery but a generic USB optical mouse runs about $5 USD. I see them by the bucket full in the checkout lines at my local Micro-Center. I also see them all over Amazon, pages of them. So I have to wonder why not just remove and replace the mouse? Pretty sure Windows XP and forward had generic mouse drivers and I can't recall having to install mouse drivers unless I go back to or before Windows 98 SE. Either way good luck with it.

Ron
Costs for a replacement may be much higher in other parts of the world.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Costs for a replacement may be much higher in other parts of the world.
Granted but I have no clue where the thread starter may be located. There was a time in this forum where location was included with the avatar. How much can an optical mouse cost anywhere? How much can a mouse cost verse a micro-switch to add to an existing mouse cost? Granted I can buy a micro-switch on Amazon for less than a mouse but I still need a switch, I am just curious.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Granted but I have no clue where the thread starter may be located. There was a time in this forum where location was included with the avatar. How much can an optical mouse cost anywhere? How much can a mouse cost verse a micro-switch to add to an existing mouse cost? Granted I can buy a micro-switch on Amazon for less than a mouse but I still need a switch, I am just curious.

Ron
I certainly miss the details that were available on the older version. Sometimes it was funny to see somebody claim to be an engineer when they lacked even the most basic concepts of circuit theory.
In some remote parts of the world just the transportation costs of items can be quite devastating. In Thailand getting NEW repair parts for a refrigerator can be a HUGE expense. Small cheap parts like a door switch or a defroster heater.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In Thailand getting NEW repair parts for a refrigerator can be a HUGE expense. Small cheap parts like a door switch or a defroster heater.
We had a forum member here who passed away a few years ago, he went by Boncuck or similar. Not originally from Thailand and a former F4 Phantom pilot. On a few occasions I sent him a few parts which was while not out of hand was costly through the USPS. Unfortunately he passed away. I am familiar with cost globally as before I retired I traveled and lived in some interesting places.

My point here was for the thread starter to say himself why he did not view a new functional mouse as viable?

Ron

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Do you think I would go through all of this if it was a crappy $5 mouse?
It's a $30 mouse, and very special because it's so useful to me due to its size, special buttons and quality. Because of that, I must find a good solution and repair it. The mouse that could replace it is from Logitech and costs about $70.

Also, you know there are engineer degrees, master included, with almost absolutely zero electric/electronic content, right?

Civil engineers come to my mind, agricultural, biomedical, computer, software, management engineering... None of those have electrical or electronic subjects, or, if any, it's a joke compared to electrical, electronic, mechanical engineering... so yeah, one can be an engineer and have really no clue about electronics and electrical stuff. May be Ohm Law from high school and some Karnaugh maps.

Anyway, microswitch is the solution.

MrNikolaT

Joined Feb 2, 2020
Hi so two solutions.

If you already have a normal off-mom (continuously off momentary on) you could connect this between the power and ground of your mouse effectively shorting it and cutting power to your mouse. I believe your computer would think something else got plugged in but not 100%. This could be risky as Im not sure what your computer would think happened. Probably is fine since usb is low voltage and it would only be connected for a second so your computer would see a current increase but i think it would be fine. ONLY DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Second option I found some on-mom ( continuously on momentary off) switches on digikey.
general switch page narrowed to what you need.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en...=push+button&pageSize=25&pkeyword=push+button

specific switch that should work 6mmx6mm smallest i could find
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=mhps2266n

i would try arrow electronics also sometimes digikey can have expensive shipping