Invert output with switch

Tom544

Joined Mar 14, 2016
I have an 8 switch demo board using 8 pushbuttons to (2) sn7414 Hex Schmitt trigger inverters that works great. I would like to add something to this board to change the output from H to L with the flip of a switch. Would like to use the same output pins. Any suggestions would be great!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If I understand correctly, you can put XOR gates on the inverter outputs and tie the other inputs together to a switch.
upload_2017-9-28_8-13-46.png
I used CMOS parts, so ignore the part numbers and pinouts.

Tom544

Joined Mar 14, 2016
Why do you need the Schmitt triggers?
If not, you just need the XOR gates.
Schmitt triggers and Caps cleanup the input from the pushbuttons!
Thanks for the suggestions! I will give the XOR gates a try. I have a 7486 that I believe will work.

Tom544

Joined Mar 14, 2016
If I understand correctly, you can put XOR gates on the inverter outputs and tie the other inputs together to a switch.
View attachment 136046
I used CMOS parts, so ignore the part numbers and pinouts.
Is there a way to use the XOR tied to a simple 2 pin switch to select Norm or Inverted? I don't have a 3 pin switch. Maybe with a pullup resistor? Thanks!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is there a way to use the XOR tied to a simple 2 pin switch to select Norm or Inverted?
Yes. As you suggested, put a pullup or pulldown resistor on the control inputs and use the SPST switch to change output to the other polarity.