Intriguing circuit on book cover

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
At minimum two rectifiers will fail open at turn on. Possibly a third on will also fail, then it should be stable.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It looks like the artist took an actual circuit and then added a bunch of parts to fill in the rest of the space. An extra transformer winding, some relay contacts, and a pair of crossed diodes. Remove those and you have a full wave bridge transformer isolated DC power supply. And all JIC type symbols, so the artist must have had a symbol template. Or a drawing.

SYNFONIQUE

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Did not expect the topic to generate this much response - thank you all !
I have rotated the 'schematic' 1/4th and redrawn it a bit. Still cannot see any reason
for a BOOM! The diodes are not under threat i.m.o., but I would not use electrolytics for the capacitors; in fact taking out the choke would probably render the whole
thing safe, But would it perform any useful task ? The caps disconnect what could
have become a bridge rectifier, or can one really swap diodes and caps in a circuit
that is supposed to be a viable rectifier ? What tends to tip me to the 'artist's
impression' opinion, is the senseless line over the transformer's secondary, and the latter's boosting windings-ratio.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did not expect the topic to generate this much response - thank you all !
I have rotated the 'schematic' 1/4th and redrawn it a bit. Still cannot see any reason
for a BOOM! The diodes are not under threat i.m.o., but I would not use electrolytics for the capacitors; in fact taking out the choke would probably render the whole
thing safe, But would it perform any useful task ? The caps disconnect what could
have become a bridge rectifier, or can one really swap diodes and caps in a circuit
that is supposed to be a viable rectifier ? What tends to tip me to the 'artist's
impression' opinion, is the senseless line over the transformer's secondary, and the latter's boosting windings-ratio.
Those look like relay contacts. Capacitors have one line curved, which is usually the negative side of polarized capacitors. At least the JIC relay contact symbol for relay contacts. And also the PLC program ladder symbol for contacts.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I took them to be a simple representation of a capacitor !
If it is just an artists rendering as suspected then the interpretation is moot! :confused:
All in the eye of the beholder o_O

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
Good to see that somebody had the time (and the knowledge!) to actually analyse the circuit and find that it is perfectly viable, rather than just dismissing it as a bit of artistic 'fluff'!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good to see that somebody had the time (and the knowledge!) to actually analyse the circuit and find that it is perfectly viable, rather than just dismissing it as a bit of artistic 'fluff'!
Interesting indeed! I have not come across such a circuit , and I am wondering, given the fairly high voltage delivered, what the input frequency and voltage are. I am not able to open the simulation data file to see.

Bauwens

Joined Jan 10, 2019
As far as I remember, the voltage source in Spice Sine function as offset, amplitude, and frequency as the first arguments. In that case : a 5 volts at 709 Hz sine signal. Hope this helps.

SYNFONIQUE

Joined Jun 5, 2021
It works just fine as "resonant rectifier":

View attachment 254369 View attachment 254371
Thank you, Phil Tilson - couldn't have said it better ...!
I did recognize the Pi-filter topology of the two caps with the choke in between,
but the "resonant" character did not dawn upon me - clever analysis, Danko !
BTW: did you use the "component values at the end of the book" (MaxHeadRoom)
as parameters for your simulation ? Ever more curious as to the book ...

The book cover of the "Handbook of Rectifier Circuits" shows a rather intriguing circuit diagram.
As far as I can see, nothing goes BOOM! - so there may be more to this than an 'artist's impression'.
Does anybody recognize this unusual circuit or is willing to volunteer for an explanation ?
Thanks beforehand, Ray
https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Rectifier-Electrical-Electronic-Engineering/dp/0853121265
Danko nailed it, but I admit it wasn't obvious, looked more like line art.