Internet Radio - Help Sought

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I am a subscriber to Calmradio and I have four Sonos players at home that I use to play this and other sources around my house.

But I want a portable device now, once I can take into the yard, patio etc so want to get an "internet radio".

Calmradio (which I must be able to play) support a ton of manufacturers.

But I had a hard time yesterday trying to find an actual model on Amazon that met these requirements

1. Made by a manufacturer listed by Calmradio
2. Is battery/mains
3. Contains rechargeable batteries.
4. Definitely supports calmradio as it works today.

So if anyone uses these kinds of device and can get calmradio setup fine please share!

Thanks

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Why not get hold of an old Android phone or tablet and install the Calm Radio app on it, then connect to your home WiFi?
Fully portable battery operated.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Why not get hold of an old Android phone or tablet and install the Calm Radio app on it, then connect to your home WiFi?
Fully portable battery operated.
I don't want the hassle and feeble sound of a device like that, some of these internet radios are decent audio quality far better than the tinny speakers on a phone etc.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
OK so I took an easy option, a bit pricey but no big deal.

Sonos sell a unit named "Roam" and I might as well just get that, I've grown a bit disillusioned with Sonos but can't be bothered trying to find a decent alternative!

I had a pretty nice Internet Radio by Roku UNTIL,,,, it no longer worked.

You had to run an app on a PC to find the stream and set it as a preset in the radio.

Now, there is all sorts of authentication that only real machines work. e.g. Firefox, Android. Just one of the things that I adopted that went away.

You can look at www.barrix.com. Their instreamer and extreamer.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
My Google Mini produces tinny music sounds but spoken voice is fine. I was going to "soup it up" like I did with my clock radio but the Google Mini is a pain to take apart. There is a better Google Home but it is still far from hifi.
The Amazon speakers are probably the same.