Internet acces problem

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
I have computer ( celeron 2.6, 352 mb ram, MS XP) and Internet sevice provider. My sister and i used this for almost 3 months surfing the internet w/ out problem then afterward 3 days ago my sister told me that she cant acces thru the internet using her account so i try my account good for me i can access..I try to access internet using her account i noticed that when i click the internet icon its seems its working bec. i saw some web site pop up on the screen but when i click it even the web site that pop up my PC hang. I get confused bec.. when i click her yahoo msengr icon first its working but when we try to click the internet icon its seem again its working but when we click again the PC hang...... Its seemc that my PC hang every time we access internet...( Note..Right now my sister can only used her yahoomesgr )......Hope u can help us guys to solve this problem....Advance thaks..and can u pls gave us idea what the reason behind of this problem so we can prevent it to happen again...thaks guys

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Your computer is probably full of what is termed malware. Google for AVG Free and install it. Also get Spybot and AdAware. Install and run all of them. That will probably clean up your computer. Keep them up to date and run them several times a week. Never agree to let some site install "free" software.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Firstly, set a restore point: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Download (all softwares are free):

Ad-Aware

Spybot

Windows Defender (only if you have genuine Windows XP SP2)

Also make sure you have AV installed (only install one of the following):

AVG

Avast!

For all the above softwares, download the updates (each has a manual option to do this) and run a scan ensure you remove what they find.

Reboot. Does this help any? If not, you may wish to repeat the above procedure in Safe Mode. To enter safe mode restart you computer and repeatedly hit F8 before the first Windows XP screen appears. Follow the on screen instructions and run the above scans.

Reboot to normal mode. Does this help any?

Dave

donskiter

Joined Nov 17, 2006
First of all i just want to thanks sir dave & sir beenthere for spending your time for the advised to to solve my problem ...i really appreciate...thanks so much guys...I system restore my PC and its works my sister can now access the internet:) thanks so much sir dave...I also download the Spybot guys only the spybot...I plan to download the ad-ware and avg to protect my pc sir beenthere & sir dave. im just want to know if it will affect the performance speed of my pc bec. it will occupy the space of my hardware..what do you think guys? do i need to install of this ( Ad-ware, avg )...thanks again guys....

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Spybot, Ad-aware and AVG are all pretty light on resources, although when you are performing a scan with any of these softwares you will experience a slight performance degradation for the 10-30 minutes of the scan. The best thing to do is when you perform a scan set it running and use the PC once the scan has finished. Ad-aware and Spybot will occupy 3.5MB and 17MB of HD space respectively, I cannot comment on AVG but Avast is around 34MB.

Be aware, only install AVG or Avast if you have no other anti-virus software running. Otherwise you can either stick with you current anti-virus software, but make sure the virus-definitions are upto date, or you will need to uninstall your existing anti-virus before installing AVG or Avast.

I would recommend that you download Windows Defender (~10MB on the HD) since it will provide real-time protection against spyware, adware, and other malware. It also is light on resources.

Also you should ensure that you have a firewall running, either the in-built Windows Firewall or a free firewall such as ZoneAlarm. And make sure that your Windows XP is upgraded to SP2 and has all patches applied.

Dave