Interfacing LCD without MCU

legolas11

Joined Feb 26, 2013
Hi, is it possible to interface a LCD with a circuit output (analog) without a MCU. i mean i dont want to program a MCU, rather want a circuitry for interfacing (if any). any suggessions would be apprecited

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
its possible but doesnt make much sense. you need decoding IC or ICs

There is ICL 7107 which has 7seg driver for 4 digits.

NO info about the LCD.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
With a datasheet and/or user manual for the LCD, it can be done. But plan on lotsa ICs. Sensor int A/D converter, data word or words clocked into a latch, decoded into equivalent BDC digits, multiplexed into LCD with necessary command signals.

ak

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You could just buy a complete DVM display using an LED display, they are really cheap and work straight out of the packet no additional wires required when measuring over about 3V, single additional supply voltage otherwise. eg. http://www.banggood.com/0_28-Inch-2_5V-30V-Mini-Digital-Voltmeter-p-974258.html
I was think and tried to introduce this kinds of led DVM, but since the TS want to measure less than 1V, so I give up for this, I got this one in hand and designed the circuit for measuring the voltage less than 3V, but not completed yet.

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I was think and tried to introduce this kinds of led DVM, but since the TS want to measure less than 1V, so I give up for this, I got this one in hand and designed the circuit for measuring the voltage less than 3V, but not completed yet.
I think you can measure below 1V on some units it's just a case of having a separate power supply for the display. I haven't bothered to search for one that does measure below 1V that's left up to the OP.

legolas11

Joined Feb 26, 2013

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
0.28 Inch 2.5V-30V Mini Digital Voltmeter Voltage Tester Meter

Feature:

Detection voltage: DC2.5V ~ 30V
Working current: <30mA
Display: 0.28 inch LED
Dimensions: 31 × 12.0 × 9mm (length x width x height)
Installation hole: 23 × 10 mm
Measurement rate: ≥200mS / times
Accuracy: 1% (+/- 1 word)
Detection voltage is from 2.5v - a bit too high for your less than 1v.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I think you can measure below 1V on some units it's just a case of having a separate power supply for the display. I haven't bothered to search for one that does measure below 1V that's left up to the OP.
Oh, that's great, I will tell my friend that maybe he can buy that kinds of the type next times, thank you.