Interesting: Cop fires bullet down assailant's barrel

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I vaguely recall hearing about this story when it happened (because it's a local story) and again a week or so ago when the officer was cleared:

http://tribunist.com/guns/cop-disarms-suspect-by-shooting-bullet-down-bad-guys-guns-barrel/

But today, while I was taking my Concealed Carry refresher course, it turns out that the instructor actually got to talk to this officer in some length because the officer's girlfriend was taking a Concealed Carry class from him a few weeks ago. He said that the officer had actually been on the range not too long before this incident practicing shooting at muzzle flashes, largely out of curiosity and opportunity (of available course challenges being offered). When he made this shot that's exactly what he was doing because, having already been shot multiple times by the assailant, that was the only thing he could still see well enough to shoot at. So while it was still an amazingly lucky, high-coincidence shot, it was far from the completely random coincidence the news media made it out to be (and, this time, I don't blame the news media for not mentioning this or even being aware of it -- it's the kind of background that they would only get had they dug deeper into the story than it realistically warranted).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Oh, peripherally related, today when I qualified I tried firing in several different stances and one of them was weak-hand (left-handed in my case). I was surprised that my pattern was pretty much indistinguishable from my right hand patterns, but I was also surprised how strongly the firearm came up and to the right. When shooting right handed, it comes almost straight up (perhaps just slightly to the left). I suspect that, left-handed, I had the gun leaning more to the right that it seemed -- which probably is reasonable since (without even thinking about it) I was still using my right eye. Should have forced myself to fire a set using my left eye. The fact that I have a very weak left shoulder due to an improperly healed torn rotator cuff might have something to do with it, too.

I got compliments from both instructor's today both on the overall grouping of the twenty five rounds and also on my weapon, which is a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP. I knew it was a nice weapon when I bought it about ten years ago, but I hadn't researched it. They referred to it as a "top-shelf" weapon. One of these days I would really like to get it accurized. I fired an accurized Colt 1911 about 25 years ago and I was really impressed how tight I was able to make the groups at 25 yards compared to my stock Colt Combat Commander. But, when I checked about that same time, the cost of accurizing was about the same as the original purchase price. Probably worth it, but still a hard pill to swallow.

The range where the class was held at (and that I went to for the first time last Sunday to introduce my daughter and niece to firearms) is pretty nice. The rules are a bit rigid for my tastes, but I can certainly live with them. They have one range that goes out to 800 yards. I don't know if I can still hit anything at that range, but I've got a couple rifles that I would like to spend of few days out there with them seeing if I can walk them out that far. It's been about six years since I've shot anything and at 100 yards I barely got ten rounds from my .220 Swift into a six inch circle and I used to routinely put that many shots with a space that could be covered by a quarter. Hopefully it's just rust that needs blowing off, but things felt different; it was like I simply didn't have the muscle control I used to have and I've never felt that way even when it had been well over a decade since I'd shot. I fear that it is age making itself known. Still, I should be able to get enough back so that when my daughter starts dating I have some sobering targets to show her potential boyfriends.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I fear that it is age making itself known. Still, I should be able to get enough back so that when my daughter starts dating I have some sobering targets to show her potential boyfriends.
Just invite them in to help you clean the gun(s).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just invite them in to help you clean the gun(s).
The remnants of a water-filled gallon milk jug shot with that .220 Swift at 100 yards has always served to get the point across to my friends that had never been shooting before -- although that's a different lesson that I'm trying to make in that case, namely that a gun is most definitely not a toy. But I can always take one of those, write "800 yards" on it, and hang it up on the wall in the living room before he comes to pick her up.

I actually plan to invite them (as a pair) to go shooting with me. That accomplishes a few goals -- first, it should establish the full ramifications of my warnings that I expect him to treat my daughter with respect (while also telling him that he has a right to expect to be treated with similar respect by my daughter, even if the consequences for failure-to-comply might not be quite the same). But, all tongue-in-cheek aside, I expect that my daughter will grow up shooting at least to some degree and (her choice) may own firearms. I want any boyfriend of hers to be aware of this and, if necessary, to at least learn the basics of safe firearms handling early on in their relationship. If it turns out that he is uncomfortable around guns, then he has the opportunity to either become comfortable or decide to date someone else's daughter before the relationship gets too far. If the relationship does last, then I also want him to understand that, should I last that long, I intend to teach my grandchildren about safe gun practices and, if it works out, to afford them the opportunity to get involved in the shooting sports. Again, I want him to be comfortable with that and, if nothing else, to force him and my daughter to talk it out and decide on a position for their family -- and if my daughter tells me that she/they have decided not to expose their children to firearms, I will try to talk some sense in to them (every few years) but will honor their decision.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The remnants of a water-filled gallon milk jug shot with that .220 Swift at 100 yards has always served to get the point across to my friends that had never been shooting before -- although that's a different lesson that I'm trying to make in that case, namely that a gun is most definitely not a toy. But I can always take one of those, write "800 yards" on it, and hang it up on the wall in the living room before he comes to pick her up.

I used to be able to do pop cans off steel fence posts a ~100 yards while standing with an old Remington 22 using nothing but the old-fashioned sites. :cool::D

Tried drilling a racoon through my screen door with it about a month ago and missed at 10 feet, twice, then grabbed the 22 with the scope out of embarrassment before the coon started laughing at me. :oops::oops: :oops:

I think I need to go buy a brick of shells and go practice again or maybe practice close up shooting for once. :(

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I used to be able to do pop cans off steel fence posts a ~100 yards while standing with an old Remington 22 using nothing but the old-fashioned sites. :cool::D

Tried drilling a racoon through my screen door with it about a month ago and missed at 10 feet, twice, then grabbed the 22 with the scope out of embarrassment before the coon started laughing at me. :oops::oops: :oops:

I think I need to go buy a brick of shells and go practice again or maybe practice close up shooting for once. :(
I know the feeling. I've got a Marlin-Glenfield Model 60 with iron sights and plinking pop cans at 100 yards with it was always a lot of fun. I don't know how well I can even SEE a pop can at that range any more! This range only allows paper targets except for some permanently mounted steel (or brass, as in old tank shells) targets. About all I can say from last weekend is that I got MOST of the shots with my AR-15 (open sights) onto paper (or at least the target cardboard, which was about 12" x 16") at 100 yards. Nothing that's going to impress very many people.

That ole Marlin-Glenfield doesn't owe me anything! That was the second gun I ever owned; my dad gave it to me for my 10th birthday. I can't even begin to count how many tens of thousands of rounds have gone through that gun -- one summer I pretty religiously put 2000 rounds through that thing each Sunday. Each time I take it out it gets a bit lighter, too! There's a nylon guide block in the receiver that is coming apart little by little. I don't know if I can find a replacement for it or not -- or I could try machining one. Clearly the dimensions aren't THAT critical!

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Your comment about shooting at the visible muzzle flash reminded me of something that I find troubling. It is the mounting of lasers and flashlights on the "rail" of pistols. I was trained to always hold the flashlight out away from my body, so that any shots would (hopefully) fly by the flashlight instead of at me. I see these mounted lights now and think "where would I shoot"? It would be human nature to shoot at the lights. Unfortunately, that is now right at the officer (or whoever is holding the highly illuminated pistol).

As for rails, I won't buy any gun that has them.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
There's a nylon guide block in the receiver that is coming apart little by little. I don't know if I can find a replacement for it or not -- or I could try machining one. Clearly the dimensions aren't THAT critical!
Is this your part?

If so, there appear to be some options that include better material.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...n-60-60c-60ssk-60ss-60sb-795-795ss-7000-70pss

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/982880.htm

Here's some useful replacement information:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/replacing-recoil-buffer-marlin-glenfield-60.88779/

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I was at the range a few years back, siting in a 22. I had the horizontal set properly when a horse fly landed on the target. I had to take a shot and missed by a quarter inch. So, I modified my targets to include a horse fly image. I tried to find a knat walking away image, but that was to no avail.

I typically use a 25 yard target at 50 yards and the 100 yard target has a four inch bullseye. The 22 rounds I was using required me to shoot about four inches above the bull at 100 yards to his the bullseye.

800 yard range. Sounds interesting. That could be useful when you shoot from one hilltop to the next. In the mesas that's a reasonable range.