Interesting and unexpected observation

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So I happened to notice that in the "Today's Birthdays" panel there is only one member today -- it happens to be a member that joined earlier this year but has never made a post.

I don't know what fraction of members set their birthday when they register (or later), but with over 400,000 members I would expect it to be enough such that there being only one on a particular day would be a vanishingly rare possibility.

@jrap, @bertus: Is it possible to get a count of how many members have a birthday set?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So I happened to notice that in the "Today's Birthdays" panel there is only one member today -- it happens to be a member that joined earlier this year but has never made a post.

I don't know what fraction of members set their birthday when they register (or later), but with over 400,000 members I would expect it to be enough such that there being only one on a particular day would be a vanishingly rare possibility.

@jrap, @bertus: Is it possible to get a count of how many members have a birthday set?
Mine is set... but I was young and naïve when I joined this place :p ... I later thought about deleting it, but I figured what the heck... Funny thing is that my birthdays have come and gone and I haven't ever received a virtual b-day card from this place... :( :p:D

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Mine is set... but I was young and naïve when I joined this place :p ... I later thought about deleting it, but I figured what the heck... Funny thing is that my birthday's have come and gone and I haven't ever received a virtual b-day card from this place... :( :p:D
I threw out a suggestion some time back about whether it might be a nice gesture for AAC to send a Happy Birthday e-mail to members who had their birthdays set and was lambasted by several people for even suggesting such an invasion of privacy and abuse of personal information.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I threw out a suggestion some time back about whether it might be a nice gesture for AAC to send a Happy Birthday e-mail to members who had their birthdays set and was lambasted by several people for even suggesting such an invasion of privacy and abuse of personal information.
I fail to understand how a personal fact that a member willingly gave away can be private information anymore... o_O