Intel will cut 12,000 jobs globally

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
A 10 % layoff is not that big of a deal. It normally is the perfect number to efficiently get rid of the people who just are not cutting it and to inspire the remaining people.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Let's hope it is a roller coaster.
I've been in the biz for 25+ years. Most of us wear neck braces to stop the whiplash. Poor Intel won't go broke anytime soon.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp...T&hootPostID=f307228ec7d3b0447ffce644c0bc3aa3
Intel will maintain its plan to spend $9.5 billion on capital equipment this year, mainly for 10nm processors and 3D NAND flash. Meanwhile new division president Venkata "Murthy" Renduchintala is evaluating which Intel products will get the axe.

After a worse than expected first quarter, Intel predicted its second quarter will see revenue fall slightly to $13.5 billion. It drew down forecasts of 2016 revenue slightly to mid-single digit growth and raised its predictions for PC declines to high single digits.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
They should rather be contained rather than exposing the general population to unemployed and if they get hired, opportunity to remain undiscovered for a year or two. Each organisation has idlers, no clue, sitting around doing nothing, always in a meeting constantly shuffling people is a phenomena that occurred after 1990.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Intel had some fairly expensive large acquisitions that needed to be integrated into its traditional PC core chip manufacturing business for accounting and to provide clear lines of authority. The 'bean-counters' are not shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic after it hit an iceberg. The recent Atmel acquisition in the controller end of the biz will IMO cause a similar reshuffle on a smaller scale that might be painful to some along that path.

http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2016/04/intel_layoffs_more_seismic_cha.html

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The standard management line when a company aquires another:

"By combining our resources we will be a leaner more efficient operation and no one will be layed off."

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I've lost count of the number of Intel layoffs in the last decade. It's very sad to see a company resorting to layoffs so frequently. I pity the employees. Intel claims the layoffs are based on meritocracy, but I know for a fact that Intel doesn't manage employee performance consistently. They have too many first level managers who have no business being managers. Too many checks and balances have been removed from the annual review process. Everything started going downhill when employees started writing their own reviews.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Everything started going downhill when employees started writing their own reviews.
How this work 'self-assessment' crap became the norm in this industry is a big mystery to me. I flat out told them I won't do it.
https://hbr.org/2011/07/lets-abolish-self-appraisal.html
One senior executive, describing his company’s experience using a forced-ranking procedure to identify its A, B, and C performers, told me of the same problem: “The As are afraid they’ll be considered Bs, the Bs are scared they’ll be seen as Cs, and all the Cs are convinced that they’re A players.”

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
How this work 'self-assessment' crap became the norm in this industry is a big mystery to me.
I never understood the logic of having the whole company writing reviews vs just the managers.

One of the things I disliked about being a manager was the time spent writing reviews, followed by managing slackers.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-f....html#incart_most-read_silicon-forest_article
Internal documentation provided to The Oregonian/OregonLive by employees indicates that Intel expects many cuts will come through buyouts, an early retirement program, site closures and eliminated programs.

Intel expects thousands of additional layoffs, targeted at employees who fared poorly in the company's rigorous annual review process, called Focal. As with job cuts last year, some employees will be targeted for layoff based on their level of performance-based stock grants. That layoff criteria sparked deep unhappiness among some employees last year, who said they didn't anticipate their stock compensation would be used that way.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I can remember having petty officers evaluate themselves, honestly. Can it be done? Sure. I sat them down and compared their evaluation and my evaluation to discuss the differences.

One trait can appear ... the "halo" effect. It can be on both sides of the evaluation, mine and theirs. I used that information for training purposes. Typically the two were less than 2 points apart, with mine having a commanding lead. Discussing how they arrived at that mark does provide some insight to the person, more than one can observe. Of course, the halo effect on their part needs to be addressed as well. Typically a few well placed questions will make them see their halo is more tarnished then they first thought.

My problem has always been me remembering the negative. To combat that, I had everyone one pay grade above the person being evaluated on a board, to relegate my negative thoughts to what they most likely were, a one time event over the evaluation period.

I guess one would have to see the metrics of the evaluation.

The supervisor that writes the evaluations must MBWA ... Manage by wandering around ... get off your chair and visit each of your charges and converse with them. Learn their capabilities.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-f...ay_off_784_in_oreg.html#incart_river_home_pop
Intel put a number to its Oregon layoffs Tuesday, notifying the state that it will issue layoff notices to 784 employees in Hillsboro and Aloha by Friday.

That amounts to 4 percent of the company's 19,500 Oregon employees. The job cuts that began Monday are part of a plan Intel announced last week to reduce its total work force by 12,000 jobs as it retools the company to prepare for long-term decline in its core market, the PC business.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Self assessments are typically important for supervisors who haven't stepped away from their desk to visit their charges on the job.

Then again, management has overtaken leadership in the scheme of things, especially at the deck plate level in the organization's.