Intel Pentium 4 or Pentium celeron D CPU?

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; i have an emachines T3958 with intel D845GVSR socket MPGA 478 400/533FSB mother board it came with Intel Celeron D 340 2.93 Ghz CPU which fried due to the known bad Bestec PS,
then i put there an Intel celeron 2.0Ghz but it's sluggish even on the web, so i want to replace it, can use an Intel Pentium 4 2.6ghz,/2.8/3.6ghz,cpu instead of the Intel Celeron D?
i was told Pentium 4 processors are better the the Celeron ones!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hi guys; i have an emachines T3958 with intel D845GVSR socket MPGA 478 400/533FSB mother board it came with Intel Celeron D 340 2.93 Ghz CPU which fried due to the known bad Bestec PS,
then i put there an Intel celeron 2.0Ghz but it's sluggish even on the web, so i want to replace it, can use an Intel Pentium 4 2.6ghz,/2.8/3.6ghz,cpu instead of the Intel Celeron D?
i was told Pentium 4 processors are better the the Celeron ones!
Ok what are youn asking ???

Sorry but you answered your own question with the last statement..The pent 4 is better but you have to compare the chips instead of the chip series .. There was many differnet speed for the Cerleron Series and the Pent 4 have it own list of speed but the pent 4 has Hyper threading which helps alot .. but you have to look up your MB specs to make the board can the chip you pan on installing and make sure your bios is up ton date also..

Jay Sr

Last edited:

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks guys for the info;I've just ordered from Amazon Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 478 CP,this is the right one for this Mini Atx D845GVSR mother board 400/533 FSB and the price of an used like new was 40.00 bucks with shipment,i had a gift bonus card, so i only pay 10.00 bucks.

Have a Merry Christmas

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
you need at least 2GB for Windows or it will be caching all the time, now these days it loads .NET and a few other things even when they arent used; it still has to maintain them in their loaded state.

You also should have a SATA harddrive, with all the advertising on the web, there are 10000s of files, IDE drives can no longer do it reasonably.

onboard graphics chips can be slow and they take memory from the RAM so you even have less available.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
you need at least 2GB for Windows or it will be caching all the time, now these days it loads .NET and a few other things even when they arent used; it still has to maintain them in their loaded state.

You also should have a SATA harddrive, with all the advertising on the web, there are 10000s of files, IDE drives can no longer do it reasonably.

onboard graphics chips can be slow and they take memory from the RAM so you even have less available.
Yes i have 2gb Mem,also do not use Windows but Xubuntu,i also have an old Dell Dem 4500 Pentium 4 that is similar to this one with same socket 478 2.oghz 2 gb Mem and it performs great special browsing,that's what i use them for.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Yes i have 2gb Mem,also do not use Windows but Xubuntu,i also have an old Dell Dem 4500 Pentium 4 that is similar to this one with same socket 478 2.oghz 2 gb Mem and it performs great special browsing,that's what i use them for.
Next time please ask if someone has a P4 cpu laying around or something.. I know I had a P4 that I overclocked to 3.6ghz on Hwbot just laying around and Ik I have a couple of cpu laying around that I would have just gave you if you covered shipping..

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Next time please ask if someone has a P4 cpu laying around or something.. I know I had a P4 that I overclocked to 3.6ghz on Hwbot just laying around and Ik I have a couple of cpu laying around that I would have just gave you if you covered shipping..
Thanks DR.Killjoy, How do you overclock a CPU? i hear this Overclocking of CPUs maybe because i 'm not a gamer,i never was interested to learn what that means and how one does it!
Also is there a way if you send it to me i can pay the shipment here upon delivery?

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thanks DR.Killjoy, How do you overclock a CPU? i hear this Overclocking of CPUs maybe because i 'm not a gamer,i never was interested to learn what that means and how one does it!
Also is there a way if you send it to me i can pay the shipment here upon delivery?
Increase front side bus or cpu multiplier or both.

I have 1.13 GHz P3 overclocked to 1.21 GHz, 450 MHz P2 overclocked to 461 MHz. I had run my 2.4 GHz C2Q at 3.1 GHz, but since it is my best rig, I put it back to stock speed.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; update on E machines t3958 upgrade CPU Processor

I have 1.13 GHz P3 overclocked to 1.21 GHz, 450 MHz P2 overclocked to 461 MHz. I had run my 2.4 GHz C2Q at 3.1 GHz, but since it is my best rig, I put it back to stock speed.

Today i got the Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHZ processor that i ordered from Amazon,installed in place of of the Intel Pentium AMD 2.00ghz and it made a huge deference,now everything runs smother and faster even streaming is much better
my next pro-get is to order another Intel CPU 3.06GHZ to upgrade my Dell Pentium 4 Dem 4500 that has an Intel P4 2.00GHZ,it runs fairly good but with the 3.06GHZ CPU it will run even better.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013

Hi shteii01: can instruct me how to achieve that without putting CPU in jeopardy!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hi shteii01: can instruct me how to achieve that without putting CPU in jeopardy!
Its alot of work and most oem boards don't overclock but will out if needed.. I gave away my only p4 to friend but I might have some other mb laying around with cpu you have just pay shipping... I cant let u know what I have till Monday when I get home but will post up my findings...

Jay Sr

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
From a bit of reading, regular P4 have locked multiplier, so you are not going to be able to change the multiplier.

That leaves you with only one option to overclock. Increase FSB.

How overclock cpu safely? You increase FSB until cpu becomes unstable (computer crashes regularly or would not turn on). Then you have two choices:
- Choice 1. Increase voltage to the cpu to make it stable. That will increase the amount of power cpu uses and also increases cpu heat output. If you go this route, have some good thermal compound and good big heat sink with large-ish fan. (I don't mess with voltages, I am not "extreme" overclocker.)
- Choice 2. Decrease FSB a couple of steps, so that you reach a point where cpu is stable. You now have overclocked the cpu and your pc is running stable, meaning it is working reliably and you can do your usual daily tasks on it.

You will have to check the mobo manual and the internentz to see where to find overclocking options for your mobo. I think for P4 they will be in the BIOS. The older pc (P3 and older) have physical jumpers on the mobo to select various values. I never had a P4 so some of them might have jumpers on the mobo, but I bet most of them have the relevant setting in the BIOS.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
From a bit of reading, regular P4 have locked multiplier, so you are not going to be able to change the multiplier.

That leaves you with only one option to overclock. Increase FSB.

How overclock cpu safely? You increase FSB until cpu becomes unstable (computer crashes regularly or would not turn on). Then you have two choices:
- Choice 1. Increase voltage to the cpu to make it stable. That will increase the amount of power cpu uses and also increases cpu heat output. If you go this route, have some good thermal compound and good big heat sink with large-ish fan. (I don't mess with voltages, I am not "extreme" overclocker.)
- Choice 2. Decrease FSB a couple of steps, so that you reach a point where cpu is stable. You now have overclocked the cpu and your pc is running stable, meaning it is working reliably and you can do your usual daily tasks on it.

You will have to check the mobo manual and the internentz to see where to find overclocking options for your mobo. I think for P4 they will be in the BIOS. The older pc (P3 and older) have physical jumpers on the mobo to select various values. I never had a P4 so some of them might have jumpers on the mobo, but I bet most of them have the relevant setting in the BIOS.
T

Thanks shteii01; that task seems to be a bit out of my league, too much work,for what i do with these OP PCs it's not worth it ,if i was a game person that would make sense but i don't like play games so these overclocking stuff is not needed ,,i appreciate it anyway

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; update on the the P4 3.06ghz processor, it works great in the Emachines T3958, and i also tried it on Dell Dem 4500 and it did not work right,i don't if i had to do any config in order for it to work, but it's weird .