Intel not happy at x86 emulation

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There have been reports that some companies may try to emulate Intel’s proprietary x86 ISA without Intel’s authorization. Emulation is not a new technology, and Transmeta was notably the last company to claim to have produced a compatible x86 processor using emulation (“code morphing”) techniques. Intel enforced patents relating to SIMD instruction set enhancements against Transmeta’s x86 implementation even though it used emulation.

Intel goes on to say that Transmeta tried and ultimately failed in the marketplace, and has been dead and buried for a decade. The company then pivots, almost daring Microsoft and Qualcomm to challenge it by making Windows on ARM devices commercially available:

Only time will tell if new attempts to emulate Intel’s x86 ISA will meet a different fate. Intel welcomes lawful competition, and we are confident that Intel’s microprocessors, which have been specifically optimized to implement Intel’s x86 ISA for almost four decades, will deliver amazing experiences, consistency across applications, and a full breadth of consumer offerings, full manageability and IT integration for the enterprise. However, we do not welcome unlawful infringement of our patents, and we fully expect other companies to continue to respect Intel’s intellectual property rights.
https://hothardware.com/news/intel-fires-shot-at-microsoft-qualcomm-with-x86-birthday-blog-post

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Android mail client is amazing I can link all my email account and toggle between them with no observable delay.

Windows 10 Mail client is awfully slow + it has confusing functionality + I cant easily link in other accounts.

Theres so many problems often its down to one of my devices to get something done.

Todays latest hack, my laptop has serious problems to pick up the broadband via wifi, dropping off all over again, turning off the wifi by itself, connecting but no internet, showing airplane symbol for months...

Now I found my tablet stays connected. So Ive created a link via bluetooth to share the tablets internet connection.
Problem solved.

Its more like I need all available different technologies at once.

Of course, because of this, I actually dont like companies who disable some functionality for some reasons they see fit.

I dont care about brand or some fuzzy adverts showing some freaky models or psychos (remember these Commodore adverts) having a party.

I go to a shop, buy a device, at the end of the day I want to get the job done.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Android mail client is amazing I can link all my email account and toggle between them with no observable delay.

Windows 10 Mail client is awfully slow + it has confusing functionality + I cant easily link in other accounts.

Theres so many problems often its down to one of my devices to get something done.

Todays latest hack, my laptop has serious problems to pick up the broadband via wifi, dropping off all over again, turning off the wifi by itself, connecting but no internet, showing airplane symbol for months...

Now I found my tablet stays connected. So Ive created a link via bluetooth to share the tablets internet connection.
Problem solved.

Its more like I need all available different technologies at once.

Of course, because of this, I actually dont like companies who disable some functionality for some reasons they see fit.

I dont care about brand or some fuzzy adverts showing some freaky models or psychos (remember these Commodore adverts) having a party.

I go to a shop, buy a device, at the end of the day I want to get the job done.
And all of this disjointed thoughts are related to the OP how?